Public land navigation...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What tools do you use to navigate remote public land?

GPS
24%
COMPASS
23%
AERIALS
23%
TOPO'S
18%
SUN
9%
BLINDFOLD
2%

Total votes: 146
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Public land navigation...

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Everything I have including flowing water

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:05 pm

U.P. MAN wrote:Mapping app on smartphone. Have used gps and compass a lot in the past. Hard to beat phone now.

I have Cabelas Recon, and I hunt Journal, also have Dors hunt it App, and Scoutlook weather.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:30 pm

I use GPS, But think it is impretative to know how to use a map and compass when hunting remote areas. Sometimes technology fails and if you don't know how to use a compass to orient a map, calculate degrees of magnetic declination you can end up all kinds of lost.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:38 pm

I use a Zebco 404. I tie the line to my door handle and start walking. When I run out of line I know I am in big buck territory so that is as deep as i go. At dark I just start reeling in...right to the truck. I usually have a spare zebco 202 in my pack in case I hit one. :lol: Actually I go by memory alot but I have ended up getting out quite a ways from the truck.I do bring the gps just in case but I know the areas pretty well that I hunt. I really need to become proficient using a map and compass which I plan on this summer.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 am

A lot depends upon where I am. I always mark the location of my vehicle with a GPS reading before heading out.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:41 am

I use a topo to find spots I want check out, usually the night before I go scouting. After I get home, I'll mark right where I walked and what I found on the topo. I dont use anything when I hunt.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:59 am

I have an ancient GPS but the thing sucks bad so I don't even bother any more. For the most part I use a compass and aerial photos to get around, they work very well for me. Most of the time I don't even have to pull them out because I have studied and walked the areas so I just go where I need to go.

When I do get turned around it is usually after dark, then I use my compass, the wind, topography, the moon, stars, or skyline to get out. Even after the sun has been set or an hour or so you can see west and use it to get out.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Compass & topo map. After a time or two thru I go on memory but always have my compass and topo with me.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 pm

magicman54494 wrote:You forgot wind. I often use the wind direction to keep me on track.

Not sure I'd rely on wind for navigation. It can change so much. And the terrain can alter it too. But in certain circumstances maybe.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:15 am

I use my compass and aerial maps most. I just bought an oregon gps but haven't even had it out of the box to use it. My other gps got me lost more than it helped find my way. My compass is always around my neck and I check it every so often. I also always make it a point to navigate by use of "landmarks" I get oriented with different things in the landscape that stand out and help me navigate.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Gps, topo, aerials, compass, sun, direction the rivers/creeks flow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”