State park canoe spots

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

State park canoe spots

Unread postby Brad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Well now that I got the canoe, I was wondering how much success a guy could have with putting the canoe in and getting across the lake to the spots that require miles of walking, or a boat. I imagine most of these spots never get hunted because it is just easier to go plop down somewhere else instead of going in via the water. Anyone ever had any success doing this or do they get hunted a lot more than I think they do?

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: State park canoe spots

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:04 am

Brad Lamont wrote:Well now that I got the canoe, I was wondering how much success a guy could have with putting the canoe in and getting across the lake to the spots that require miles of walking, or a boat. I imagine most of these spots never get hunted because it is just easier to go plop down somewhere else instead of going in via the water. Anyone ever had any success doing this or do they get hunted a lot more than I think they do?

Even in areas with very high hunting pressure, using a canoe to access distant areas can be a great aid in knocking down the pressure around you. It also provides a method of getting your deer out with a lot less work. I have used a canoe on occassion in both high pressure areas as well as low pressure wilderness zones. I am confident you will put it to great use and find it be a valuable tool.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:39 am

Boating is my number one technique for leaving people in the dust. Dan hunts beds, I hunt water spots, that's my strength. Have you seen this vid I made? It's not a canoe, but the same idea.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDBMZpn4k_k[/bbvideo]

Or this one?

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBAmrQ2QLk4[/bbvideo]
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:55 am

Spysar wrote:Boating is my number one technique for leaving people in the dust. Dan hunts beds, I hunt water spots, that's my strength. Have you seen this vid I made? It's not a canoe, but the same idea.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDBMZpn4k_k[/bbvideo]

Or this one?

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBAmrQ2QLk4[/bbvideo]

How far do you generally find you have to go to get to these "remote" areas that are good? I have the Wi river literally in my back yard and I bet f I got a small motor for it I could use that to my advantage since the majority of that land is all public.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:44 am

My average boat ride is 2 or 3 miles. Some are much less. Going 2-4 miles in a small boat, is pretty far. But I have productive spots that are only about 1/2 mile boat ride. In the right situation, just getting to the other side of a creek that too deep to walk across is enough. Or across a pond or smaller lake..
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:02 am

So when you go 2-4 miles, and I've asked before probably, what are you looking for? What is it that grabs you on the map that you aren't seeing in the first mile or so on the trip? Are you studying terrain changes, vegetation changes, hunter access?

Just wondering how you pick the spots, especially out of state when you can't do tons of scouting. What makes you say "this is the spot I need to pull the boat over"?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:24 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:So when you go 2-4 miles, and I've asked before probably, what are you looking for? What is it that grabs you on the map that you aren't seeing in the first mile or so on the trip? Are you studying terrain changes, vegetation changes, hunter access?

Just wondering how you pick the spots, especially out of state when you can't do tons of scouting. What makes you say "this is the spot I need to pull the boat over"?

I'm boating by the private land, to get to public. I stop when I get to the public, that's all.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:13 am

Do you transport your boat inflated? Trailer or do you have a truck?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:30 am

When I get out to where I'm hunting I usually inflate it and transport it in my pickup. But if I had to, it could be deflated and inflated again, but that would add some time to your day.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:36 pm

A boat is on my wish list. We have a pile of public hunting land that is totally land locked by private land around my area. A boat would greatly increase my productivity at filling the wall during the rut.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:41 pm

muddy wrote:A boat is on my wish list. We have a pile of public hunting land that is totally land locked by private land around my area. A boat would greatly increase my productivity at filling the wall during the rut.

Love the new sig...... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Zap wrote:
muddy wrote:A boat is on my wish list. We have a pile of public hunting land that is totally land locked by private land around my area. A boat would greatly increase my productivity at filling the wall during the rut.

Love the new sig...... :lol:

Good deal, you sorta inspired it! :D
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:51 pm

:mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”