New Public Land Setup

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dave Mullins

New Public Land Setup

Unread postby Dave Mullins » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:14 pm

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7IAgwDkTc0[/bbvideo]

BigHunt

Re: New Public Land Setup

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:09 pm

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:03 am

My only concern with your setup would be the time it takes to get setup, and how far out from the tree you are?? It just seems like you stick out so much in one of those style stands?? The way you climb is very similar to a climber whereas you almost have to climb a telephone pole type tree?? To me it seems like the LW handclimber would be faster and easier than your setup?? I don't know though?? Just an observation, never hunted out of one.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Just my personal opinion. First I'm not trying to be a richard just saying that a Lone Wolf assault or alpha would be a better option in my eyes. I've never used the "guido web" never heard of it before now. So I guess you could say I don't know what I'm talking about. Second when I seen you towing that cart at first I though you planned on staying out there for a few days. Then even after you cut down on stuff and went to the trout vest there is still an over whelming amount of things that you take with you. To each there own but I couldn't imagine bringing half that with me no matter if I'm a hundred yards off the road or 2 miles back in a public marsh.
Bobby G
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:16 pm

I view that as using an overkill (loaded cart) to justify an underkill.

If it works for you OK, but stand/sticks or steps.... is what I choose due to its versatility.

Thanks for posting the video.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dave Mullins

Unread postby Dave Mullins » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:47 pm

straitnarrow wrote:Just my personal opinion. First I'm not trying to be a richard just saying that a Lone Wolf assault or alpha would be a better option in my eyes. I've never used the "guido web" never heard of it before now. So I guess you could say I don't know what I'm talking about. Second when I seen you towing that cart at first I though you planned on staying out there for a few days. Then even after you cut down on stuff and went to the trout vest there is still an over whelming amount of things that you take with you. To each there own but I couldn't imagine bringing half that with me no matter if I'm a hundred yards off the road or 2 miles back in a public marsh.

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate them. I have no experience with a Lone Wolf product, so you could very well be right. I'm always looking to learn & better myself. Would you mind sharing a detailed list of what you bring with you on a hunt from daylight to dark? Let's say you are walking about 1.5 miles, one way, to bowhunt til dark. list everything you bring. Thanks for your willingness to share, this is how we learn & get better.
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:45 am

When I head out for a all day sit I pack my stand, sticks, depending on weather a warm outter layer coat if needed, a few candy bars, a sandwich, and a bottle of water. This year - will be packing my camera arm and video cam with me weather permitting of course. I try to stay as light and mobile as possible I bungee cord everything to my stand so all I have in my hand is my bow. Oh I forgot I have a head lamp either on or in my pocket and an extra set of batteries in my pocket.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
Bobby G
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:24 am

Looks interesting, one thing for sure it has to be more comfortable than the lone wolf climbers. They are uncomfortable and im not a big fan of them. It actually looks like you are fairly streamline with the second scenario. Thanks for posting.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:21 am

Whatever works for ya Dave, I'm just giving my opinion. It looks like you hunt some pretty rugged, remote country. I used to have a LW climber but always found myself looking for the perfect tree and not setting up where I NEEDED to be! With my Alpha and sticks, I can get in THE TREE I need to be in. You sure cut down on your weight with the web!!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:14 am

In my opinion it is way too much hunter movement to be effective. Sometimes your season boils down to one opportunity. You must capitalize on that one opportunity. My opinion, a stand and steps is a better option. I had a loc-on stand and 10 steps, weighed about 10 pounds. Very mobile, very light, and easy to set up. I also feel facing the tree puts the hunter at a disadvantage compared to facing away from the tree. Again hunter movement is why I say this.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:37 am

In more open hardwoods, or during late season, I will face the tree and put it between myself and where i expect the deer to come from. I think it would be quieter to use the system instead of a lock on, not sure about the movement. Not arguing Stan just my opinion :D :D Very hard to beat a stand and steps for sure! I know that i would have used the sytem on my last hunt to OH. 3-4 miles in to get to where your hunting really sucks cayyring a climber, I think it could have its place in some cases. I dont know alot about the tree saddle, is this system much different?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:21 am

I have both a Guido's Web and a tree saddle, they are very similar. I got the Web before the saddle.The web is very comfortable, more than the saddle. However the Web is more bulky, and makes movement more of an issue. I like the Saddle better. I have a Guido's Web for sale if any one wants to buy it. I have used the Web for all day gun hunts. This is where it shines in my opinion. Very comfortable, you face the tree and use the tree trunk for cover as well as a gun rest.
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:26 am

I climb trees for a living and the saddles we use at work are very comfortable for a short period of time even a fews hours but I don't think I could sit all day in them. Dave keep the videos coming I enjoy watching them. So far this one has struck up a good discussion. I'm gonna start another post about what you pack for an all day sit when your a mile or more out from where you park. Everyone feel free to have your input I'm curious ho everyone does it.

Bobby G
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:28 am

straitnarrow wrote:I climb trees for a living and the saddles we use at work are very comfortable for a short period of time even a fews hours but I don't think I could sit all day in them. Dave keep the videos coming I enjoy watching them. So far this one has struck up a good discussion. I'm gonna start another post about what you pack for an all day sit when your a mile or more out from where you park. Everyone feel free to have your input I'm curious ho everyone does it.

I can't sit in the saddle all day either. 4 hours max. The Web, I have sat in all day with no problem.
Dave Mullins

Unread postby Dave Mullins » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 am

I am new here, so I want to make something very clear. I'm not the kind of guy who has to be right, win a debate, nor do I think it's my way or the highway. I am not going to "engage" anyone here, because we're all on the same team, in my opinion. I just want to put that out there, cause I know sometimes what we write, can be misinterpeted. I know there are many ways to skin a cat, I'm just looking for the most perfect way for me.

I only have 2 hours of seat time experience with the Web. However, I see such tremendous potential in it, I'm comitted to mastering it. I will spend all of this upcoming season evaluating it's effectiveness. The way I hunt, it's usually always sunrise to sunset. I'm the first one in, & the last to leave, unless I kill something. I like this forum, & you ALL are welcome to stop by my place any time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”