Iowa Public Land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Iowa Public Land

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:11 am

Well, this is the year I think. I have four preferance points for Iowa and I'm 95% sure I'm gonna go for it this year.With the costs rising in Iowa every day, this may be my last time in Iowa. I have researched what I think could be some decent land. I have a couple of problems. One is I won't be able to go there before I actually go there to hunt. The other thing is, I have already scheduled my annual hunt to SD and NE. I will be leaving SD/NE on Nov 13th. So I would get to Iowa on Nov 14th.

What do you think my odds are just showing up, scouting, and hunting? Maybe I could stop by on Oct 20th on my way to SD/NE and look around for a day or two also...

And I'm a little concerned about my arrival time. Nov 14th till ? I think I will have a month (4 short weeks,lol) to do all this hunting. I don't think it will be too bad showing up those dates, what do you guys think?

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Iowa Public Land

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:29 am

Since you will be hunting the rut I think you could do most of your scouting off of aerial photos. Line up as many spots as posss. before you leave. You are successful and know what to look for. It should be fairly easy for you to pick out rut spots.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:22 am

I agree with Magicman, but if it was me I'd schedule around IA seeing as you can hunt the other 2 states every year at half the cost. I try to show up around 11-7. I hunt mostly public when there and usually its scout and hunt the very day I arrive. Good luck. drop me a PM if you need any advice in NE IA

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:43 am

I would agree with Magic.....aerials are the top choice. Study the land where you will be going, but back-off on the zoom and make note of the parcels that surround the chunk you are targeting. They may be feeding off of the chunk you are hunting on and advancing on to the adjoining parcels, so predicting where the does are at will help you decipher/predict the travel routes through the public land. Hunting funnels that link possible doe bedding areas will be the key.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:30 am

I agree... You can easily choose spots with an aerial. But I would also glance at a topo. Some of Iowa is hilly, some is flat. Also, rivers rivers and draws, are important to know about there...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:55 am

What part of the state do you all hunt? What zone has the most public land? What zone has the best public land? I think I going for zone 5.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:48 am

I don't know the zones for crap but know enough little public areas in the eastern half of the state that I could point out some good areas as well.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:10 am

I'm not sure where zone 5 is either but I'd give my eye teeth to go back and hunt a rut spot I missed out on in Jackson county, never seen so many scrapes in my life... Think Jackson county is zone 8, lemmie know if you happen to go there.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:15 am

I think Zone 5 is NE Iowa?

My parents live in and I grew up in Jackson county, there are no big deer there.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:47 am

HERE IS A ZONE MAP, I THINK WE ARE DOING ZONE 9 THIS YEAR
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:47 am

UM I AM STILL TRYING HOW TO POST THE MAP!
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:03 am

well i dont know how to get a pdf from my documents to post here. sorry. a buddy and i are going to allamakee county to scout this weekend. should be fun we both should draw this year

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”