Hunter predictability on public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Hunter predictability on public land

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:58 pm

It seems as though hunters are being educated by the masses these days. You see a ton of TV programs shot on non-pressured, highly-managed lands and the public perceives them to be the gospel in tactics and in proper stand positioning. As a prime example, I can reliably look at an aerial or topo map of a chunk of public ground and without setting foot there tell you in accordance of the parking area where you can find other hunter's stands. The problem with this is that if I can repeatedly do this from afar, imagine what the deer already know since they are eating, sleeping and breathing right in the area 24/7.
Now - wonder why these hunters don't have much success?
Are you taking this into consideration when you scout a new section of public ground for any species of critter you intend to hunt - from squirrels to deer? What are your experiences with other hunter's stand positions? Are you using them and the adapting patterns of the deer in the areas to your advantage? If so, let us know what has worked for you to combat or adapt to this situation.

PLH

Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunter predictability on public land

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Hunters are very predictable... And buck don't get big by being stupid. If they spend time in the same areas as hunters in daylight they won't live long. So where do they hang out? Find the areas where hunters don't go either because its to hard to get to, or because its over looked.
Sometimes there is a river that needs to get crossed to get to a remote area, sometimes they are right along side the road where no one would think.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 pm

The forest service has started gating off many logging roads where I hunt and making them welcome to foot travel only! The best ones are the snowmobile ones because you can get miles away from the parking areas thus away from the masses! Bow season I pretty much have all these off the beaten path areas to myself :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
badfaulkner

Unread postby badfaulkner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:16 am

Agreed with Public Land Hunter. Gated off roads are wonderful. The next best thing are roads too wet for even a 4WD vehicle. If you're not afraid to walk, "the world" is yours essentially. My son and I dragged a doe over a mile on the last day of the season. Well, I dragged it. He offered moral encouragement. :mrgreen:
stikbow26

Unread postby stikbow26 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:45 am

Growing up here in Michigan you had better learn how to hunt around the other hunters if you want to be successful on big bucks.. Walt
futuredoc

Unread postby futuredoc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:53 am

I'm assuming you are talking about funnels, saddles, and general "rut" hunting locations that seem to get spoken about really frequently. Is this the case when you are referring to predictable hunting spots?

fd
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Doc,

What I mean is that if you watch the typical TV programs they tell you to hunt field edges, inside corners, points, ridges, etc. I can just about look at an aerial or USGS map and cross-off all of those if they are anywhere near a public parking area. Without a doubt - you will find stands there.

I was pointing to the predictability of stand sites and figuring out how the deer are skirting/avoiding these areas during daylight hours to increase success. Pressured land is way different than what we see on TV. Adapt and overcome!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:58 am

Around here there are some bow only areas, part of a large area that includes a lake.
There are two parking areas that get all the traffic. If you go to the farther lots there generaly empty.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:28 pm

Zap wrote:Around here there are some bow only areas, part of a large area that includes a lake.
There are two parking areas that get all the traffic. If you go to the farther lots there generaly empty.

marty

Hey, Marty are you talking about Clinton Lake??
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Yes sir. Thats where I live!!!

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”