Camouflaging Public Stands

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Camouflaging Public Stands

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:19 am

I take great care in camouflaging my public land treestands and groundblinds if I'm not taking them in and out every day- even in remote wilderness areas (helps hide them from the deer too). That being said, I'm always looking to improve my methods... any tips on hiding stands from others?

Goober

Re: Camouflaging Public Stands

Unread postby Goober » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:51 am

we don't have that luxury here in WI, must be removed every night! Although, i guess if you camo it good enough you might get away with it!!! Maybe I should ask you for some tips..(hahaha, kidding!)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:18 am

Good point, Goober- more and more states are moving in that direction. In Mich, you have to remove a portable ground blind every day on public land. Check this out for treestands on public... you can put up ladders / ladderstands / non-bark penetrating steps (T-screws that some stands hang on are legal!) on public land from September 1 until March 1st. Here's the kicker- all tree stands on public land have to have your name and address affixed to them (just like an ice shanty) written in legible English and it must be EASILY READ FROM THE GROUND. Still haven't figured out how to do that if your stand is above about 7 or 8 feet. :)
CatfishJack

Unread postby CatfishJack » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Singing Bridge, in Minnesota we must also remove our stands every night. So i don't have to worry about people seeing my stands. But as far as my spots, i try not to let anyone see me going to them and will even go to an alternate spot if someone is close and can see where i go. I scout year round and know the area better than most, so I dont' want to even advertise where I might want to hunt.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:28 am

CatfishJack wrote:i try not to let anyone see me going to them and will even go to an alternate spot if someone is close and can see where i go.

x2.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:35 am

I always try to hunt where others aren't, so if that is accomplished then the camo of the stands doesn't make a huge difference. I always bought the el-cheapo stands for like $29.95 from the big-box stores and chained and locked them up. My theory was if it got stolen (like this past season) then I am definitely not alone back there and will look for a more "undisturbed" buck somewhere else.
I do make an attempt to place the stands where they aren't obvious to the deer, let alone the hunters nearby. I like the multi-trunked trees, conifers and grapevined/ivy-vined trees that give plenty of back-cover. Now and then a few branches fastened to the stand with the XL zip-ties that electricians use are very handy. The zip ties are also used to tie branches to each other in shooting lanes and in the tree I am in to create more cover behind me if needed. Handy tools that weigh nothing.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:08 pm

I also carry zip ties in my pack- love those things. I use them for everything from attaching a deer tag to manipulating branches and stands.

Regarding the post topic, on heavy pressure public land I have found it to be critical to camouflage public land stands- even when you carry them in and out with you every day. In fact, I camouflage everything I do. I either park my truck in an out of the way and vision blocked location or right in the middle of the most popular parking spot in the area. You won't ever find one of my boot tracks on a public dirt road going in any direction, and it goes without saying you won't recognize where I enter or exit the woods. The trail in and out won't be able to be followed either, even when man-made bridges are required. Everything on my entrance and exit is staggered and hard to recognize.

I also strive to hunt areas where other hunters aren't, but take all precautions none the less. Whether I'm in an overlooked stand right by the road or a remote area where the chance of an encounter is slim, I take extreme precautions of hiding my stand from other hunters. I take my treestand and sticks in and out every hunt and anticipate where other hunters may approach or exit my stand area from. I hide the sticks based on this analysis, and place the stand itself where other limbs hide it and me from that possible hunter approach route. I'm set up to get a shot at my target buck before he recognizes my stand and sticks for what they are.

Why? As an example, I have one remote public land stand where I've shot a number of bucks over the years. One year a hunter appeared, nosed around and left dissatisfied and never recognized me or my stand. It could have been the end of my hunting spot if he recognized my stand... the price of hunting heavy pressure bucks. When I hunt an overlooked spot near a road... goes without saying. There are other things I do in addition to these as well.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Good info for readers to take in. There are so many more challenges to contend with on public land that a cavalier approach won't get it done consistently. Good topic!

PLH
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:50 am

I really enjoyed that last post Scott. As I posted above, I do my best to conceal my entrance and exits. But I've always wondered if camoing the actual area you hunt from other hunters doesn't actually harm instead of help. I know Eberhart's really push that too. However, if me or my hunting colleagues come across someone's stand, we will NEVER hunt that area, no matter how hot the sign is. I think most dedicated and ethical hunters would do the same. However, if we see hot sign and the spot doesn't have any human sign, we will analyze and set up. I may end up hunting your spots if I can't recognize any hunter sign. For that reason, while camoing the stand to make it look natural, I usually choose to tie a red strap around the tree I'm hunting to alert other hunters that the area is being hunted.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:17 pm

NB, If you walked in to one of my hunting areas and set up, I'd tip my hat to you and give you the area. If all hunters had your common sense and consideration, the hunting world would be a better place. 8-)

Earlier today I realized that talking about camouflaging stands on public land could create a real danger in certain situations- something that should be discussed. In high pressure hunting areas during gun season, camouflaging ground blinds really well can create a dangerous situation. More and more states are requiring orange on manufactured blinds during gun season, but many more aren't. In 2008, we unfortunately had a gun season fatality right here in my area that MAY have been prevented if the ground blind had been made more visible to others.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:41 am

I thought they changed the law in WI where you could leave portable stands up as long as your name was written on them? :?
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 03, 2010 8:43 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I thought they changed the law in WI where you could leave portable stands up as long as your name was written on them? :?

The way I understand it is you can only leave your stand during the day if your name is on it... No stand may be left over night.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:57 am

Starting to examine more possibilities for quick brush set-ups where I can trim out a small bush or hide behind a deadfall. I don't have much investment into these types of set-ups and they can be deadly, as more deer are looking up on PL these days!

PLH
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:52 am

dan wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:I thought they changed the law in WI where you could leave portable stands up as long as your name was written on them? :?

The way I understand it is you can only leave your stand during the day if your name is on it... No stand may be left over night.

Every county is different regarding county public land.....I know Oneida lets you leave stands in overnight. First day of season a stand can be put in, but must be taken out by the last day. Gets tricky with gun hunters as they try hanging stands a few weeks early, I know guys that have gotten pinched. Bow hunters can hang a stand all season with a valid tag in your pocket. Still no screw in steps, basically stand can do no damage to the tree.

Every county may be different and state land I don't believe you can leave overnight.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:50 am

publiclandhunter wrote:Starting to examine more possibilities for quick brush set-ups where I can trim out a small bush or hide behind a deadfall. I don't have much investment into these types of set-ups and they can be deadly, as more deer are looking up on PL these days!

A deadly tactic, IMO!

I've watched a decent buck in bow season, out of range, walk through the hardwoods adjacent to a swamp and visibly tremble. This was heavy pressure public during the late prerut. While shaking, he would carefully take a few steps while looking UP in the trees for hunters- he knew he screwed up and was trying to make it back into the swamp. They definitely learn to look up for danger.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”