Boats for the public land deer hunter

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Boats for the public land deer hunter

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:23 pm

hey bighunt which of those boats have the solid floor? that bottom one doesn't look like the right rig for a marsh hunt but the middle one that says mariner looks alright. I am going to give the old canoe a go of it and see what happens, it worked alright for duck hunting I just need to make some adjustments to make it more "silent" for deer hunting stealth mode this year.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:25 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:hey bighunt which of those boats have the solid floor? that bottom one doesn't look like the right rig for a marsh hunt but the middle one that says mariner looks alright. I am going to give the old canoe a go of it and see what happens, it worked alright for duck hunting I just need to make some adjustments to make it more "silent" for deer hunting stealth mode this year.

i dont know :? :? ..... i could see getting a heavy duty canvas type cover for the bottom ...that might help with the marsh
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:34 pm

I bought a boat specifically for deer hunting off the river several years ago, but I made the mistake of buying a new one and have since been afraid someone will steal it while I'm hunting so I have yet to take it up the river to deer hunt. Image
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:46 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:I bought a boat specifically for deer hunting off the river several years ago, but I made the mistake of buying a new one and have since been afraid someone will steal it while I'm hunting so I have yet to take it up the river to deer hunt. Image

I'll be getting a big cable and pad lock for mine. I like to think there are enough decent people left in the world I could get off the beaten path and abandon my equipment for an afternoon without having to worry about it walking...never know I guess. I'd be more worried about someone stealing the trailer off my truck at launch than stealing my boat out of the woods along the river.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:52 pm

This is my canoe. It is 11 '9'' and weighs around 40 pounds. If I remember correctly, it has a max capacity of 450lbs. I use an 8 foot kayak paddle to move it across the water and a canoe paddle for hard turns and to push through shallow spots.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Dang that's nice! Maybe I need to add a shorter canoe to my fleet??
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:01 pm

It's pretty nice to be able to throw it in the back of my short box. I got mine off of craigs list for $350, Dicks sell them for $400. The Old Town guide 119.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:11 pm

BigHunt wrote:this is a cool thread ...i was looking at some of these inflatble boots or this purpose ...under 1000 some under 500 $$
and the wieght limit is good to up 800 pounds
found them at cabelas

Do you plan on using a motor? those boats don't have a motor mount. A canoe will paddle easier then a boat will row, but a canoe has a greater risk of tipping. I have spent a lot of time in canoes and can't say I have ever come close to tipping one.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:19 pm

I did a lot of duck hunting out of my 17' canoe this fall and agree tipping was never a concern. I'd like to put a trolling motor on it. I've seen a lot of the brackets they make for trolling motors for canoes and sell for $50+ and I'm convinced I could easily make one. I have a outboard for my 12ft boat but that seems kind of loud for sneaking into good hunting spots...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:48 pm

mike_mc wrote:
BigHunt wrote:this is a cool thread ...i was looking at some of these inflatble boots or this purpose ...under 1000 some under 500 $$
and the wieght limit is good to up 800 pounds
found them at cabelas

Do you plan on using a motor? those boats don't have a motor mount. A canoe will paddle easier then a boat will row, but a canoe has a greater risk of tipping. I have spent a lot of time in canoes and can't say I have ever come close to tipping one.

no just plain on paddling in
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:07 pm

I use a 16ft Penebscot canoe with motor mount and 2 1/2 hp 4stroke Suzuki. I also use a Spingcreek flotation outgigger to prevent tipping as I really load it up when I go about 7 miles by water tomy 10 day camp in the rut. If I was to change one thing, I would get a squareback canoe for easier motor mounting but I already had this canoe before I started hunting this way.

Spystar, what hp is your Honda motor and what make is the inflatable? That is a nice setup for some spots I am thinking of huntting.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:57 am

I have an of boats. If I was to add one, it would be a Nu Canoe. For those who are looking for a shorter canoe, these look awesome. Pricey though!

http://www.nucanoe.com/
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:57 am

not sure why was censored....
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:58 am

really? ...........al
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:59 am