Trail Cameras on heavily pressured public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Trail Cameras on heavily pressured public land

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:41 am

I have a few spots I'd like to run trail cameras on. I need to purchase the cameras first, I will probably buy some of the cheaper models just to get an idea what is out there and then its less of a loss if they get stolen.

When you guys place cameras on heavily pressured public land what are some of your concerns and tactics?

I have a few spots back in the swamp I want to hang cameras. I am afraid of doing it during or close to season for fear of ruining the spots but I'd like an inventory. I am thinking maybe placing some out in summer just to get an idea of the animals using the area. There are spots I could run the cams in season too but they are too close to human activity I don't want my cameras walking.

When and where are you guys running cams on public land with lots of human activity?

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Trail Cameras on heavily pressured public land

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:47 am

I was running cams on public land in Wisconsin till I figured out it illeagle here. Looks like the DNR is talking about changing that law and allowing trail cams and treestands on public land left over night... When I did use them, I put them near food sources or along travel roughts to get an idea if a certain buck was using a certain bedding area. Pictures would be far enough back that they would be after dark, but if within the 1st 1/2 hour to hour I could have a pretty good idea which beds they came from or are going to (in the AM)
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:08 am

dan wrote:I was running cams on public land in Wisconsin till I figured out it illeagle here. Looks like the DNR is talking about changing that law and allowing trail cams and treestands on public land left over night... When I did use them, I put them near food sources or along travel roughts to get an idea if a certain buck was using a certain bedding area. Pictures would be far enough back that they would be after dark, but if within the 1st 1/2 hour to hour I could have a pretty good idea which beds they came from or are going to (in the AM)

You ran them through season then? It seems it would be safer to run them in the off season when there is less human traffic through the woods. I understand the law is the law and it's illegal..but its a dumb rule. I also heard that they were thinking of switching the law to leave stands and cameras up over night. Mixed feelings on that. Do you think if I ran cameras back in a marsh on travel routes for a couple weeks at a time in the summer to get an idea of deer activity, it would turn the spot cold?
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:06 am

I have a hour long commute to my hunting so I, m pretty reliant on my trailcams. I've had 2 stolen , but now I've gotten smarter about where and how I set them. At least 10 feet up in tree and locked onto tree as well. Now I set on the interior of the woods. And really take my time brushing them in.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:52 am

You ran them through season then? It seems it would be safer to run them in the off season when there is less human traffic through the woods.

I ran them in the summer to locate huge bucks. Just before season to establish patterns where I could not shine, and on and off during the season to see what useing an area or check on a hunch. I did not run them full time during season.

I understand the law is the law and it's illegal..but its a dumb rule. I also heard that they were thinking of switching the law to leave stands and cameras up over night. Mixed feelings on that.
Me too... I certainly would not want to see everybody be able to leave stands up all season... But throwing cameras out there... I am ok with that, but don't want to see people claiming spots. I don't think cameras would be an issure though.

Do you think if I ran cameras back in a marsh on travel routes for a couple weeks at a time in the summer to get an idea of deer activity, it would turn the spot cold?
I do think it would do some damage... I also think you might not get the results your looking for cause deer move around to different bedding areas sometimes and seeing a buck in a spot in July is no certain indication that he will be bedding there come September or October...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:56 am

I hear ya, I just want to see that deer are using the spot. I am not to the point in my career where I am hunting specific bucks. If I can pick up sign that the area I am hunting is seeing a fair amount of deer activity in general during july/august that gives me some hope they will be in there during season. The one spot I posted from last weekend I used a creek to access. There was a lot of creek crossings, I am thinking I could run cams along those spots and leave very little scent behind. Lots of thinking/planning/scouting to do before its trail camera season!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:02 am

You don't need cameras to tell you if deer are useing an area in a marsh... Tracks, trails and beds will tell you that. Your also not going to see numbers of deer back in the marsh, you see more deer around the food sources or at the edge of the marsh, you generally see more bigger/older bucks out in the marsh... A camera might talk you out of hunting a good spot cause you can't cover all the trails, and it wouldn't be wise to put it right where you intend to hunt...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:11 am

dan wrote:You don't need cameras to tell you if deer are useing an area in a marsh... Tracks, trails and beds will tell you that. Your also not going to see numbers of deer back in the marsh, you see more deer around the food sources or at the edge of the marsh, you generally see more bigger/older bucks out in the marsh... A camera might talk you out of hunting a good spot cause you can't cover all the trails, and it wouldn't be wise to put it right where you intend to hunt...

that makes sense, I've already re-vamped my plans. I have one spot I am particularly curious about. The marsh is fairly small and there is very obvious food in a few different directions leaving the marsh up on the dry ground. Hanging a camera just inside the transition on the food side would probably be more productive than hanging them down in the marsh?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:21 am

Hanging a camera just inside the transition on the food side would probably be more productive than hanging them down in the marsh?

Yes...
One other thing I was going to say, is try to have confidance in those spots you have out in the marsh, rather than throwing a camera out there, throw a stand up and give it a sit. Nothing happens try the next spot.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:31 am

dan wrote:
Hanging a camera just inside the transition on the food side would probably be more productive than hanging them down in the marsh?

Yes...
One other thing I was going to say, is try to have confidance in those spots you have out in the marsh, rather than throwing a camera out there, throw a stand up and give it a sit. Nothing happens try the next spot.

Thanks dan good advice, I need more scouting time before I hang a set in there. I just had my tonsils out I'm laid up and on hospital drugs for 2 weeks so my season is done unfortunately. Looking forward to spring scouting already though.
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:44 am

Swampthing wrote:I have a hour long commute to my hunting so I, m pretty reliant on my trailcams. I've had 2 stolen , but now I've gotten smarter about where and how I set them. At least 10 feet up in tree and locked onto tree as well. Now I set on the interior of the woods. And really take my time brushing them in.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

That's how I do it. A set of climbing sticks and get them up off the ground. 8-10' and facing downward and locked on. If someone wants it, they'll get it but the lock keeps the honest man honest. 8-)
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:33 am

http://www.sticnpic.com/

Using this camera stand you can hide a camera absolutely anywhere. Stick it in brish, carefully trim out for the face of the camera no one will ever see it. They also have a tree mount version, you can mount the camera high 10-15ft angle it downward and you are golden. Great product.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”