hunting "close to the road"

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: hunting "close to the road"

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:50 pm

dan wrote:Sounds like a great scouting trip R.B.W. I think your eyes may have been opened to a new tactic. 8-)

I think your right Dan, this could completely change my outlook on scouting. The way I see it, a big buck has his pick of the spot he wants to bed in. Chances are that spot will be very close to food to conserve energy as long as there is ample cover, little or no pressure, and a water source. Why waste my time scouting far back in if he can just survive the season right next to a field in an overlooked spot? This should be a fun scouting season, I think I will be able to find many of these overlooked spots if I put in the time....who knows, maybe I'll end up being solely a "road hunter" :D

When better is possible, good is never good enough
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:51 pm

Nice finds RBW! I hope you can show off a big public land buck for next year. I too am starting to get out and scout! Can't wait.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:04 am

Dor wrote:A lot of my go to spots are very close to the road *(as the crow flys at least). The trick is still to have an obstacle. I like climbing vertical bluffs.

I have a spot like this, that I can see the car, im talking maybe 40 yards. But, the deer use it, people dont and you can enter the stand without leaving a footprint. I smoke em in that stand.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:20 am

i have quite a few good spots that i can see roads i have a few im watching my car from.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:27 am

I have had a couple experiences that make me believe that hunting near the road could get you a nice buck. One day my cousin and I were heading to the archery shop and he looks over and says big buck. We stop, not only was there one big buck there was two laying in some tall grass about 20 yards from the road. I would guess them to be atleast 3.5 year olds.

Another time my buddy and I were hunting some highly pressured public land and we were leaving to head home and there stood a giant buck about 25 yards from the road. This was also a spot you would write off because of the way the area is laid out. It just doesnt look like an area where you would see a buck of that caliber.

A guy that I talk to alot through work killed a 140 in buck that he saw crossing the road in the same spot and same time everytime there was a south wind. He set up just inside the woods and got him.
My opinion if the sign is there you gotta hunt it!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:31 am

i have two spot right next to the road ......id say the one is like 75 yards from the road . the bed is tucked up against this small pond surrounded by cattails 8-) one bed , one rub ....with one or two rubs leading in to the bedding area.....and the other one i cant say much about ;) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:03 pm

Talking private land, it seems to me the big bucks love to be up near the road. The biggest buck I ever got daytime trail cam pics of was about 40 yards off a road behind a house. I have been creating thick cover up by the road to hold more deer on my property, time will tell how it goes.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Mike wrote:Talking private land, it seems to me the big bucks love to be up near the road. The biggest buck I ever got daytime trail cam pics of was about 40 yards off a road behind a house. I have been creating thick cover up by the road to hold more deer on my property, time will tell how it goes.

good stuff, good luck on the custom bedding area!

This has always been an untapped resource for me, not just "road spots" but more the "overlooked spots"(which are often near the road :D ) Even since I added hunting beast style to my bag of tricks, I have still been hunting areas where others would frequent. Hoping to learn a lot from scouting said areas this offseason.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Great topic. I will keep this in mind....

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:05 am

I wonder if just maybe, especially in these north states that theyve learned over time that roads mean openings where they can find food and or salt from the road.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:00 pm

jlh42581 wrote:I wonder if just maybe, especially in these north states that theyve learned over time that roads mean openings where they can find food and or salt from the road.

I think its more finding over looked spots people don't think to look... Although, near the road, usually is near the crop fields too.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:22 pm

dan wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:I wonder if just maybe, especially in these north states that theyve learned over time that roads mean openings where they can find food and or salt from the road.

I think its more finding over looked spots people don't think to look... Although, near the road, usually is near the crop fields too.

I've also heard about deer eating the salt near the roads but personally I haven't seen enough evidence to back it up. I don't know much about farming but when farmers fertilize their fields, they must be getting some salt in their diet here as well?.....

Otherwise, I'm gonna pour over some maps tomorrow morning and hopefully check out some more overlooked spots in the aft.....If you see some weirdo poking around in a spot you'd never suspect a big buck to be, just honk and wave :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:30 pm

bump
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:50 pm

I have a spot I call the deer mecca that is off the rd about 200 yrds. It is overlooked and in between 2 parking areas that are .5 miles apart. I have killed 5 bucks there and countless does. I actually hunted it tonight and will hunt it the last day of season on Weds to try n fill my last doe tag. What I like about it is if I get out of work late I can get there and be in my stand quick. I also have a spot I call the sand trail that is literally rock throwing distance from the rd. It has a "blanket" thicket that hides me from view of cars. It also is in between 2 parking areas. Ive killed 2 bucks there and a few does. It gets ruined after gun season cause guys stomp right down the deer trails to get in the woods but its always hot early. I have a few others to that have produced but they will get ruined 2 outta 3 yrs because guys will find em and dump bait right on the trails. I always scout em and the second I see sign and know they r not hunted Ill pop in for a hunt or 2. Another spot is super hot late if the DNR plants corn. The deer always bed right across the rd and once the muzzleloader end nobody hunts. The last 3 or 4 days of season the deer will ease up ncome across early enough for a shot. I sit 25 yrds from the rd tucked up in a dead fall. Its payed off a few times for a late doe. Its impossible to hunt early because every guy n his brother hunt the corn and the trails is super noticeable.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:18 pm

keb wrote:I have a few spots like that, most are along the highway where the cars never stop moving.

X2
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”