Bucks leaving the public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Bucks leaving the public

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:13 pm

I scouted a big chunk of marsh on sunday and was suprised to see no deer. This side of the marsh is the best spot for holding bucks. I found plenty of buck beds, but only cut about 5 sets of doe and fawn tracks, no bucks. The bucks are in there before gun season, but after drives and all the constant pressure they seem to bail out. How long does it take in your spot for the bucks to come back after gun season?

Dewey

Re: Bucks leaving the public

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I see the same thing every year about this time. They are still there just driven deep into the cattails at least where I hunt. Not having any ice to get to some of the most remote spots is really complicating things for me right now. Slowly the bucks will start heading back to their normal beds now that the bulk of the pressure is gone. Movement for me usually improves in the next week or so. Especially if we get some really cold weather but not looking good for that anytime in the near future.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bucks leaving the public

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:52 pm

I am assuming your talking marshes? I have noticed when the marsh 1st freezes and ice is not quite thick enough to support a walking buck I think that they can't stand it and head for dry ground. I still see some bucks back in the cattails but not near as many as before the freeze. If it gets good and soild some will come back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”