What do you consider "pressured" public land?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

straitnarrow

Re: What do you consider "pressured" public land?

Unread postby straitnarrow » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks Dan! Much appreciated I will be going out this weekend with a print out of the map and begin my search. Thanks again. Oh and I just received my second copy of your marsh bucks dvd (due to my ex tossing my other out a truck window). Awesome movie.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image

Bobby G
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:31 am

Many of you probably remember my story about the one spot I had turning into public state land this year.

The opening day of rifle I elected to work. I counted 70 trucks surrounding 1200 acres.

THAT is pressure.

Im like spy, I prefer to be alone. Tough to do it in gun season, pretty easy in archery.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:54 am

The pressure I see can be divided into two distinct seasons, before the MN rifle season and anything after rifle opener.

The public land I hunt bow season sees sporatic pressure, the bowhunters are out there but its not super crazy like some of what you WI guys experience. The deer probably get more pressure from grouse/duck hunters and rifle hunters going in to scout or work on their stands. I wouldn't call it high pressure but there is still plenty of pressure out there and that pushes the deer back into the nasty stuff shortly after the opener. No doubt I supply a good amount of pressure to the areas I hunt but that is why it is generally one sit and then move on to the next spot. I have lots of low pressure spots where I know I won't see many other hunters.

The MN rifle season is about as bad as it gets, everyone hits the woods in early Nov pretty much shutting down the rut and forcing the deer to do most of their rutting at night. In many cases if you don't score opening weekend the deer have you figured out and they shut down most daytime movement. Most public land I hunt is thick with stands and trucks seemingly everywhere you look. Every road or trail is covered with trucks, if someone can get a atv into a spot you can bet there will be a sand there. There are also mazes of roads everywhere from decades of logging so there is way too much access available. The only good news I have is there is a LOT of public land here and there are many pockets that guys are just not willing to go into, these are my bread and butter spots where I can have entire sections to several square miles to myself. They are rare but I have a handful of spots like that. The pressure is still on the deer from hunters and wolves around these areas but if you can find the locations they feel safe you can find that daytime movement. The other areas I have luck with are setting up on buck bedding right inside the pressure. It can be amazing now to know that there is a buck in one small location surrounded by stands in every direction. The best part it other hunters rarely even get a look at him or even know there is a good buck in the area. Of course like any smart buck they just don't move so you have to get right on top of them.
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:43 am

the public hunting ground behind my house gets pounded everyday, it starts in Sept. with guys scouting to duck season. Cant drive by the parking lots without two or three trucks there. most hunters i see are using crossbows with no stands. they like to try and sneak up on the deer! LOL These deer are nocturnal before the season starts. it is no fun at all, i avoid it because i cant stand people walking around. the area is 5000 acres that has plenty of acess so you cant get away from them.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:49 am

Welcome to the Beast Bonemonger!!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:11 am

Bonemonger, where are u from? That sounds similar to one of the public land parcels I hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:36 am

i live in Kinsman Ohio, the public land is the Shenango wildlife area.
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:49 am

Well never mind then. :lol:
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:02 am

i am sure there are plenty of spots like i spoke of in Mich. too. just not worth the aggravation!
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:20 am

i would consider "pressured" land as a piece that sees someone hunting there at least every other day during bow season. I personnally only bowhunt public land so I write it off as getting pounded during the gun season.

I'm sure everyone here would never like to see another guy when they go hunting but in some cases the other hunters are actually funneling the deer into certain overlooked spots...you just gotta find those.

There are some spots I have that get crazy pressure but I know they hold the best bucks. Year after year I always see them shining or glassing. On the other hand I have some spots that get little pressure and have only seen a nice buck a time or so.
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”