MI PUBLIC REPORT

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The_Real_Jmill

Re: MI PUBLIC REPORT

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:17 pm

Took a 7pt on a piece of public opening weekend, only been out twice since then because of work. Seen deer every sit though. Have my eye on a lowlands area that is usually pretty consistent during the rut. Just waiting for the right time.

Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:29 am

MichiganMike wrote:
Wolfofmibu wrote:Been seeing mostly spikes and doe , and a few fawns in the northwest. Took a mature doe opening night. Nothing since . Headed back up this weekend . Scrapes are starting to open up. Tons of acorns everywhere where I hunt. Makes it hard . I’m literally slipping on them!.

Are you seeing white oak acorns or red? no white oak acorns where I'm at- I'm in Central W. Michigan up to the North a bit as well.

Mostly reds !, but some whites . A lot of beach nut as well.I do most of my hunting in lake county .
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:26 am

Ack wrote:First hunt of the season for me this morning, as work hours have my hunting cut way back this season. Found a fresh large scrape in cover while scouting yesterday and figured with the rain overnight it could possibly get hit again this morning. Wrong. Saw a spike and a couple does, but was reminded how much I hate hunting over scrapes. Just never seems to work out like everybody says it should (cough cough nite time only) :lol:

It must not of been a “BBS”( buck bed scrape) . First thing they hit out of bed. lol. I’m kidding I haven’t had any luck hunting directly over scrapes either
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:53 am

Hawthorne wrote:
Ack wrote:First hunt of the season for me this morning, as work hours have my hunting cut way back this season. Found a fresh large scrape in cover while scouting yesterday and figured with the rain overnight it could possibly get hit again this morning. Wrong. Saw a spike and a couple does, but was reminded how much I hate hunting over scrapes. Just never seems to work out like everybody says it should (cough cough nite time only) :lol:

It must not of been a “BBS”( buck bed scrape) . First thing they hit out of bed. lol. I’m kidding I haven’t had any luck hunting directly over scrapes either

I actually took that into consideration because It wasn’t too far from bedding, but no dice. The spike did come in to the scrape, so it kinda worked...could've killed him, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t him that originally tore it up.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:06 am

Wolfofmibu wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:
Wolfofmibu wrote:Been seeing mostly spikes and doe , and a few fawns in the northwest. Took a mature doe opening night. Nothing since . Headed back up this weekend . Scrapes are starting to open up. Tons of acorns everywhere where I hunt. Makes it hard . I’m literally slipping on them!.

Are you seeing white oak acorns or red? no white oak acorns where I'm at- I'm in Central W. Michigan up to the North a bit as well.

Mostly reds !, but some whites . A lot of beach nut as well.I do most of my hunting in lake county .

Oh nice! I have a spot up there as well just northeast of Baldwin. I mainly hunt Oceana County
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:12 am

Missed a public 2.5 year old on Monday. About as easy of a shot as one can get, oh well back to the drawing board, I have terrible buck fever this year, second miss of the season. Oh yeah missed a coyote also. I have been just trying to regroup since then and figure out my issues before things really heat up.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:39 am

MichiganMike wrote:
Wolfofmibu wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:

Oh nice! I have a spot up there as well just northeast of Baldwin. I mainly hunt Oceana County

Yeh our cabin is west of Baldwin , so we kinda just go all over the place . I have a few oceana spots as well. Got a doe opening night there . Love it up there , can’t beat it!
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:43 am

Wolfofmibu wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:
Wolfofmibu wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:

Yeh our cabin is west of Baldwin , so we kinda just go all over the place . I have a few oceana spots as well. Got a doe opening night there . Love it up there , can’t beat it!

Yeah great area up there. Lot of pressure but you can get to some good remote areas where the pressure works to your advantage.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:27 am

Great weekend in the woods. Lots of scrapes and rubs popping up. Had an encounter with a big doe in remote bedding I had to get to with a kayak. Also had a cool encounter Sunday morning. I’m still really scouting with a few sites here and there. I sat Sunday Morning with a great wind on the back of a lake. Lots of fresh rubs. Saw nothing. I decided to go scout as I found this spot on the map the night before and scouted in the dark that morning. I went and checked the area and found this.

C62EBB30-08D1-42F6-8282-E1C4F9FD78A9.jpeg

In the back of the pic, is a small cluster of
Trees... I walked up that way to continue scouting and bumped a buck. He didn’t move until I was 10 yards away. This is what I found.

7743AE0C-261F-45F3-86B2-084E3AD65B42.jpeg

The legendary balloon was 50 yards from positive buck bedding....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:29 am

Took the opportunity to do some scouting with the rain we had in SE today. I know public by me has been getting hammered but even this was alarming to me. 3 stands covering approx. a 10 acre area. Two of them must be from the same hunter as they heavily cut trees and limbs back at both spots. The other we walked a well manicured trail with flo orange markers to a ladder stand flanked by two scent wicks. Only one of the stands was in an okayish spot overlooking a heavy trail. Very little buck sign. We moved on and DNR will be getting gps coordinates to the saw happy hunters stand.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:23 am

d_rek wrote:Took the opportunity to do some scouting with the rain we had in SE today. I know public by me has been getting hammered but even this was alarming to me. 3 stands covering approx. a 10 acre area. Two of them must be from the same hunter as they heavily cut trees and limbs back at both spots. The other we walked a well manicured trail with flo orange markers to a ladder stand flanked by two scent wicks. Only one of the stands was in an okayish spot overlooking a heavy trail. Very little buck sign. We moved on and DNR will be getting gps coordinates to the saw happy hunters stand.

Oakland? I scouted oakland last January to keep my tag soup hot and it was like I was in some post apocalyptic hunting nightmare.. no deer and abandoned stands. My feet hurt thinking about all the ground i covered in my mickey mouse boots. Currently looking at alpha burly or aero heads
Last edited by Sparkey on Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:27 am

Can't find delete button
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Sparkey wrote:
d_rek wrote:Took the opportunity to do some scouting with the rain we had in SE today. I know public by me has been getting hammered but even this was alarming to me. 3 stands covering approx. a 10 acre area. Two of them must be from the same hunter as they heavily cut trees and limbs back at both spots. The other we walked a well manicured trail with flo orange markers to a ladder stand flanked by two scent wicks. Only one of the stands was in an okayish spot overlooking a heavy trail. Very little buck sign. We moved on and DNR will be getting gps coordinates to the saw happy hunters stand.

Oakland? I scouted oakland last January to keep my tag soup hot and it was like I was in some post apocalyptic hunting nightmare.. no deer and abandoned stands. My feet hurt thinking about all the ground i covered in my mickey mouse boots. Currently looking at alpha burly or aero heads

SE somewhere... lol

Past years it hasn't been this bad but COVID has really brought the fudds out of the woodwork and the pressure has been crazy high. I don't mind that they're hunting there at all since we all have the right to be there but when you limb a tree like that it's just outright disrespectful. I could understand a few small branches or a dead limb but this is a big healthy pine. Have to imagine it was a teenager because they hacked off limbs in such a way as to make a ladder right to their hang on.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Central michigan here. Did a 3 mile loop looking for a big 9 I had on camera. Saw 8 trucks tons of people all over the place. Boot tracks everywhere. Kinda sucks I had this whole area to myself last year when it was so wet. Nobody was walking in. Oh well time to move on find another spot. See if I can find something where somebody hasn't been. Saw a couple small 8's tonight so at least saw a couple bucks. I got one more spot to check around there but have been waiting for the right wind so I haven't been in there yet. Plenty of people out hunting though compared to last year.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 am

West Michigan- sorry im a bit late here but bumped the buck I was on out of his bed an hour and a half before daylight last Sunday AM (10/25). Heard him crash and jump the river. It was definitely a hard bump. Thought I could beat him in there but he was STILL bedded that early. either heavy pressure or still in that early fall pattern. Spot is probably shot sooo- on to the next!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”