Anyone use Canoes?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

May-39

Re: Anyone use Canoes?

Unread postby May-39 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:15 pm

If you can get to it without waders or a boat I typically don't hunt it. I may scout it but time and time again it pays off.
Plus as you said, multiple stands are practically right out of the boat. One of my better ones is in a box elder that hangs out over the river on a small point. I never even get out of the water..
Plus there is always some entertainment, marsh birds, muskrats, otters, etc..Always something going on.

I have shot two decent bucks from my canoe and wiffed on a couple more chances...Bucks love islands when pressure hits.

You guys should really, really consider one of those suspender type pfds that blow with the yank of a rip cord....Easy on and off and sub 45 degree water on sub 45 degree days is trouble. you will probably get pneumonia a sub freezing day but you will be alive...Please do.

Oh and wrap your paddle with camo tape, yes it hides better and your hands don't stick to it as bad in the cold weather..

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:42 am

Nice pics. At some point I want a canoe or something similar. Like motorcycles, a small nimble boat can get into some surprising places.
It can be tempting to get a bigger version. Two foot-itis.

Does staying with people power seem best? With all the hunting gear it gets to be a hassle quick, right?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:54 pm

I'm glad I saw this post. I have just found a little over 1400 acres of public land 15 minutes from my house. I knew there was some public land there before but had no idea how big it was. Its about 3/4 wetland. I've been looking at some spots to check out this fall, mainly a long strip of mature timber almost as long as the wma, surrounded by scrub trees and swamp on both sides. I figure it has to be a highway and appears to be one heck of an edge. But there is one spot that is calling my name. It's a little over a mile walk or 200 yards if I come in by boat. The northwest side is a hunting club, the east side is private ground and the north is a lake. I can access several feeder creeks coming in by the lake. The game warden said little pressure because it's so hard to get into so here are my three questions:

1. Canoe or kayak? And any particular brand? There are places where the water is only a few inches at winter pool.

2. I have 5mm duck hunting waders. Should I go with something lighter and just pack in and use when I need? I know how bad I sweat in them in duck season. Or are hip waders a better idea? Would you wear them in the stand?

3. What kind of gps? I have an old one and want to upgrade. I'm alone most of the time and I know how swamps can look the same everywhere you go. I don't want to get lost.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:02 pm

I've got a garmin 62 st. It comes with a map and is the beez knees for me but there is a complete post on that topic. Small canoe sounds like your best bet.

I've got a 15 ft flat back canoe that weighs little over 100 lbs. I use it to get across lakes and will use it on a river if a friend joins. I put numbers on it and put a troller motor on it. It's big enough for two guys and gear and a deer or two. What I lack in agaility I make up in stability. I can stand up and fish out of it in lakes. I'm not old man river and if I hit logs or downed trees my canoe is more likely to bounce off instead of rolling. But it's big and bulky and a pain cause of its size.

So I would factor in size, stability, your skill level, and cost. A lot of the kayak guys struggle getting in and out of them, but if I've got a 100 yards of dragging I'd much rather have a kayak. Good luck !

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:39 am

blizzardhunter wrote:I'm glad I saw this post. I have just found a little over 1400 acres of public land 15 minutes from my house. I knew there was some public land there before but had no idea how big it was. Its about 3/4 wetland. I've been looking at some spots to check out this fall, mainly a long strip of mature timber almost as long as the wma, surrounded by scrub trees and swamp on both sides. I figure it has to be a highway and appears to be one heck of an edge. But there is one spot that is calling my name. It's a little over a mile walk or 200 yards if I come in by boat. The northwest side is a hunting club, the east side is private ground and the north is a lake. I can access several feeder creeks coming in by the lake. The game warden said little pressure because it's so hard to get into so here are my three questions:

1. Canoe or kayak? And any particular brand? There are places where the water is only a few inches at winter pool.

2. I have 5mm duck hunting waders. Should I go with something lighter and just pack in and use when I need? I know how bad I sweat in them in duck season. Or are hip waders a better idea? Would you wear them in the stand?

3. What kind of gps? I have an old one and want to upgrade. I'm alone most of the time and I know how swamps can look the same everywhere you go. I don't want to get lost.

1. I went with a 16' flat back canoe and got a 4 hp motor to go with it. Motor has a built in gas tank. I gave a lot of thought to my decision, my hunting terrain is similar, plus i live by a river. This setup seems slick so far. I have only tested it out once on the water so far but the thing ran beatifully on the open water. Here is a really good thread on the topic that helped me decide: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29877&hilit=small+boat

2. I got some neoprene hip wader boots last fall and I now consider them one of my most valuable pieces of equipment for cool/cold weather marsh hunting and scouting. I would recommend wearing pants over them for protection. The chest waders are too hot and cumbersome, too hard to walk long distances while wearing. They are a useful tool for making crossings though. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23618&hilit=cabelas+boots

3. Garmin is the most popular on here for good reason. I have an etrex30 which works well but there are better ones with better value and bigger screen. I would recommend searching through some old threads on here for more info on all of these questions. Some good threads: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29152
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26404
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”