anyone in WNY?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Babscanes

anyone in WNY?

Unread postby Babscanes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:21 am

Anyone here in WNY? I am thinking of trying Tonawanda reserve to keep pressure of the private land I hunt and was wondering if is a disaster during bow?

I drive by it to get to my private spots and during gun season its an orange army. Its a vast area though and I know there are a lot of deer in there so wondering if anyone with experience there has any opinions?

Obviously not asking for tips on spots just how is the pressure with a bow more than anything. I didn't get a chance to scout it during spring but a couple of drives by the area seems like it would be worth the effort.

gjs4
500 Club

Re: anyone in WNY?

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:33 am

Hey Man. Where are you from?

I also hunt 8g and live near Darien/Alden.

It gets pressure. It also is the best place in wNY for a public land mature buck imo. Think boat. Think islands. Been in there a bunch fo times and despite most of our peer being lazy screwballs you will see that there are guys getting back in there. At least one good buck falls there each year with the occasional giant as well. Most guys avoid the southern areas- but know your boundaries. The more woods it has the more attention it gets.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:58 am

I'm in Amherst. Hunt 8g . Thinking of trying after work then hunting my private during weekends. Assuming you mean to steer clear of the reservation. I think I'm gonna dive in and see what happens. I'm slowly losing access on private as land changes hands so I'm gonna start now before all I have is public. I was thinking of using kayak to get back in but I'm gonna see how bad it is on dryer transitions first

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:11 pm

I have had some buddies score some great ground around Clarence the past couple yrs and don't overlook Pendleton-Medina.....some giants are falling there.

I know canoe guys and wader guys. One guy fills his doe tags in 10 minutes with head shots and then floats out 4 does most Thanksgivings. The swamps are a cool place. Long story short- had someone from deersearch to the family farm and she was showing me pictures form the day before of one she helped a guy find...off an island...easily overlooked one...would guess 160s 12..know a guy shot a mid 40s with a gun and luck two years ago and of course there was that upper 180s a few years back that got all that press. Lots of leasing/posting on the adjacent private ...some of the guys are only there for waterfowl...can always ask for permission for access. BTW- the parking lots are filled and noticed most people don't use the best way in.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”