Spent shotgun shells everywhere

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you pick up your spent shells?

Always
59%
Sometimes
37%
Never
4%

Total votes: 27
Country
500 Club

Spent shotgun shells everywhere

Unread postby Country » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:27 pm

I took my kids out on a public land scout today and couldn't believe the amount of spent shotgun shells we found on the ground. I am not a tree hugger by any means, but I do appreciate going out into the woods and not seeing garbage all over the place. With that said, I don't think it's necessary to go out searching for your wad, but when your spent shell lands within three feet of you, I have to think it's kind of lazy not to pick it up. Thoughts?

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Re: Spent shotgun shells everywhere

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:53 pm

I pick up garbage when out there........some people just dont care
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 pm

I picked sometimes... The law states you need to pick them up on public in Wisconsin, but in the heat of the kill I often forget. However, I pick up a lot of other peoples trash and shells when out there.

I would recommend picking up every shell from under your tree... I remember a guy writing a story about his method of scouting for deer hot spots was to find trees with piles of trash and or shell casings under them. That told him it was worth hunting cause someone else was really interested in that spot, and the casings told him they were successful... Kind of hard to believe thats someones main scouting tactic, but there are people like that out there... No cut branches, and no garbage make Dans spots hard to find.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:11 am

I picked sometimes also. Sometimes I forget.

dan wrote:
I remember a guy writing a story about his method of scouting for deer hot spots was to find trees with piles of trash and or shell casings under them. That told him it was worth hunting cause someone else was really interested in that spot, and the casings told him they were successful... Kind of hard to believe thats someones main scouting tactic, but there are people like that out there... No cut branches, and no garbage make Dans spots hard to find.

On the public land I hunt, if I find trash that shows sign of someone else hunting there, it throws up an alarm. You can usually tell how fresh the trash is to know how long it's been since someone was there. I move on most of the time. To me, the person that throws trash around where he's hunting isn't real serious about his hunting. If he's that careless with his trash, he's careless about other things too. I don't need the added pressure of a careless hunter, I have a hard enough time as is.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 am

Nothing worse than cigaret butts and spent shells. No reason not to pick up after yourself. You should leave nothing but foot prints anywhere you hunt, be it private or public.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:12 am

i find down here its mostly squirrel hunters that leave thier shells since they may shoot a box a trip...

I pick mine up if they dont go in the water and im not too excited to forget... but its only a couple shots a year so its not many anyway
Make It Happen
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:43 am

I leave absolutly nothing at my deer stands. I scout too hard to leave a sign that I was there. I don't even put my foot in the mud and I even make sure ya can't see my boot track on the trails up north. When someone leaves trash it tells me 2 things, he is a slob and didn't work all that hard to find that spot. If he leaves empty shells there I figure he was in a drive , or he didn't see anything and got pissed on the last day of the hunt and decided to shoot a tree. ;) I am to the point I only use my Lone Wolf climber.
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:58 am

I pick mine up most of the time. The only time I dont is if its in the heat of the moment and I get excited. But it is important to.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:16 pm

I pick mine up but sometimes it's hard to find some mixed in with leaves, especially rifle brass.

When I was a kid I picked up every shell or casing I found and had a huge box full. It was quite a interesting collection with a huge variety.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”