Fastest Treestand System To Hang???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AB_Vinny

Fastest Treestand System To Hang???

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:27 am

I find myself moving around a lot hanging stands based on what the deer are doing but I have not found an optimal setup for ease of installation and speed of setup. For example if I find hot sign and I want to hang a stand right away, finding a fast way to ascend the tree and a fast tree stand to install can be challenging.

Does anyone have a fast/portable system they use?

muddy

Re: Fastest Treestand System To Hang???

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:31 am

A lot of guys on here (myself included) do a lot of mobil hunting and most of us swear by Lone Wolf stands and sticks. In most situations I can be hung and hunting within 10 minutes but that's because I take my time. If I wanted to be FAST and not pay attention to detail or safety I think I could be up a tree in 5 minutes.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:32 am

How much money are you looking to spend and are you going to leave it in the tree?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:04 am

I haven't used lock ons and sticks yet (next stand I will buy though) but, I have ladders, lock ons and a climber. Out of these my climber has become my frefered stand. As far as huntablilty with a bow a lock on is still my favorite. I bought a cheaper steal climber to try out. I really like it having the removable shooting rail. Even though it weighs 35lb (about 45-50 with gear packed) it is still my favorite stand because I can get set up in about 5 min. You have to be careful climbing considering it can make a lot of noise if you aren't. I think a lock on and sticks might would be quieter though.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:16 am

Lightweight stand and lightweight sticks is hard to beat for ease of carry and fast set up.

Lightweight stand and screw in pegs is hard to beat for light weight to carry.

Little longer to set up, but if you want to leave the steps for another day its alot cheaper.....and the next set up goes alot faster.

This set up is nineteen pounds.

Stand with twelve screw in steps is twelve pounds.
Last edited by Zap on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:22 am

Vinny,
Check out this link that shows the system I use, and that Muddy and others were describing. There are two video clips that should be watched one after the other posted there. They will show just how this set up works...
I set a new stand every sit...

CLICK THE LINK:
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=6069
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 am

After watching that video my tax time list is now as followed. Hoyt Rampage XT, accessories for bow, New dozen arrows, Spider harness and Lone Wolf stand and sticks. :D

That should have me good to go for a couple seasons at least.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:07 am

sticknstringarchery wrote:After watching that video my tax time list is now as followed. Hoyt Rampage XT, accessories for bow, New dozen arrows, Spider harness and Lone Wolf stand and sticks. :D

Sounds like money well invested! :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:11 am

Dewey wrote:
sticknstringarchery wrote:After watching that video my tax time list is now as followed. Hoyt Rampage XT, accessories for bow, New dozen arrows, Spider harness and Lone Wolf stand and sticks. :D

Sounds like money well invested! :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yes it will be. Tax time=Adult Christmas. :dance:
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:30 am

I use the assualt and 3 or 4 sticks. Very fast to me, but Ive done it so many times it seems now I do it without much thinking.

This season I picked up 200 acres and is my 1st private spot my entire life after 15 years of hunting. For the pre set stands I hung I bought the 20 ft comfort tech ladder sticks that stay at the tree, then I have a LW easy hook, bow hook, and hoist rope all attached to that tree. When I get there, I just slide my assualt on the hook. The 20 ft sticks are only 50$ and are very nice.
You can't kill em on the couch
DeereGuy

Unread postby DeereGuy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Very timely post for me. I have a ladder stand setup in one spot, a cheap light hang with steps at another and a ground blind. I have a budget to spend this weekend on another set of $200.00. I think I am going to get the lonewolf sticks and another cheap stand for the rest of this season. Tax time will get me the lonewolf hang on...thanks for posting that video Dan!
Be safe and enjoy!
Bob
2011 Parker Enforcer
1976 Bear Kodaik Magum Recurve
Summit Viper SD climber
Ameritech Stackhouse ground blind
Grim Reaper 100gr. Razor Cut SS 3 blade 1.75 broadheads
2 Wildgame D8 trail cams
Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450 RF
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:11 pm

DeereGuy wrote:Very timely post for me. I have a ladder stand setup in one spot, a cheap light hang with steps at another and a ground blind. I have a budget to spend this weekend on another set of $200.00. I think I am going to get the lonewolf sticks and another cheap stand for the rest of this season. Tax time will get me the lonewolf hang on...thanks for posting that video Dan!

You can't go wrong with the sticks. I routinely carry my lone wolf + 5 sticks and it handles everything I throw at it. I know a lot of guys who use the sticks with other stands, but its tough to beat the cast aluminum platform on cold days. Its money well spent. Built to last.

Take note of the trick dan uses in the video to cam lock the stand to the tree. This year is the first year doing it and I wish I would have thought of it 15 years ago when I started using lone wolf stands.
DeereGuy

Unread postby DeereGuy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks...Dicks carries the lone wolf sticks and I think they come with 3 in a box and they also have the individual ones. I think I need at least 4. I have my Summit Climber but the swamp I want to hunt doesn't have any trees that wil work with it. To bad I can't figure a good way to use the climber as a hang on...I just can't see a safe way of getting into it from the sticks.
Be safe and enjoy!
Bob
2011 Parker Enforcer
1976 Bear Kodaik Magum Recurve
Summit Viper SD climber
Ameritech Stackhouse ground blind
Grim Reaper 100gr. Razor Cut SS 3 blade 1.75 broadheads
2 Wildgame D8 trail cams
Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450 RF
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:30 pm

So, I understand the mobility part of it, but how do you get shooting lanes ready? I was trying to figure out where else I could climb up into, and I would have to trim every spot to get some lanes. Or, do you just find a small window and take the shot, along with a little prayer?
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:38 pm

whitetail4ever wrote:So, I understand the mobility part of it, but how do you get shooting lanes ready? I was trying to figure out where else I could climb up into, and I would have to trim every spot to get some lanes. Or, do you just find a small window and take the shot, along with a little prayer?

You take this into account when picking your tree but don't get hung up on nice, wide shooting lanes when you're hunting mobile. I may have to clear some limbs at my stand but I don't clear any lanes at all. Just make it work.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”