Arrow in buck!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wibowhntr

Re: Arrow in buck!

Unread postby wibowhntr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:59 am

Good luck!

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:00 am

Good luck
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:10 am

Well I have bad news. We did not find him. I think he is dead or going to die where we last found blood. He was quartering very good when a shot and what I figure happened was I hit him low and took out the close lung. I know I got lung. It was bright Pink blood. I believe the arrow came out the bottom of the deer because there was blood below him the whole way. I would say we went around 500 yards give or take a few hundred but we went a long way and kept pushing him with great blood. In the beginning he never took any trails he always blazed his own. He actually made small circles in the cattails and crossed over his own blood trail three times. In the end he always walked and took the easy path so I think he was getting weak. In the end we would lose the blood and all of a sudden and then we would find it 20 yards away bleeding heavy and then it would stop. The blood was off and on in the end. I know we were pushing him but I never heard him run off. I think a fair amount of blood was coming out of his mouth because there were bubbles in a lot of the blood. Some blood was big clotted chunks and but I don’t know what that means. It sounds like I will be out of luck at this point. I was maybe thinking about hiring a dog and trying to get off of work tonight. We will see. Any advice or thoughts would be good.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:18 am

It sounds like he's gonna die losing that amount of blood. I think your best bet would have been to back out after the first time u bumped him. I would definately try to pick back up on where you last found blood tomorrow. You never know you may stumble upon him. Good luck hope you get em
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:21 am

One lung is tough but it sounds like he is losing plenty of blood. Hope he is down somewhere and you find him later today. Good Luck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:26 am

I never bumped him but I know I was pushing him. It was a lot of blood, I must say that, I dont think I will be able to track anymore tonight with work but tommorw after ten I can. Im not sure if rain is in the forcast. I hope not.

I shot him on the right side of his body and he seemed to stumble on his left front leg right after the shot. I had no light up nock so i cant see the shot on film :evil:
Last edited by PredatorTC on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:29 am

After what you described sounds like a fatal hit. That deer should be looking to bed down and by now enough time has passed he should be down. My gut feeling is a good tracking dog would make quick work of this tracking job. Good luck.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:31 am

PredatorTC wrote:I never bumped him but I know I was pushing him. It was a lot of blood, I must say that, I dont think I will be able to track anymore tonight with work but tommorw after ten I can. Im not sure if rain is in the forcast. I hope not

No rain till Wednesday. You should be good. Too bad you can't look for him later today. Sounds like a great excuse for a sick day. :)

PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:33 am

Dewey wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:I never bumped him but I know I was pushing him. It was a lot of blood, I must say that, I dont think I will be able to track anymore tonight with work but tommorw after ten I can. Im not sure if rain is in the forcast. I hope not

No rain till Wednesday. You should be good. Too bad you can't look for him later today. Sounds like a great excuse for a sick day. :)

After then end of tonight I have a new boss :D so I need to be careful :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:45 am

With a one lung hit, that buck will likely live for a few days... Once you let him lay down and clot up finding him is going to be really tough. Good luck.
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:54 am

Good Luck PredatorTC, I hope you find him.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:17 am

dan wrote:With a one lung hit, that buck will likely live for a few days... Once you let him lay down and clot up finding him is going to be really tough. Good luck.

Do you think that me pushing him helped to but him on his last leg?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:22 am

If he wasn't running then he wasn't being exhausted to the point of death in my opinion. He may bleed out but who knows if it'll be at the place you left off or 3 miles from there. Get back out and keep looking this afternoon if you can.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:29 am

The overall majority of one lung hits I have followed the bucks walk a lot more than run. They are having a hard time breathing and often you hear them cough. It would make most people think they are about to die. But they seldom go down easy. They can travel miles like that.
I would not give up... But its not an easy find.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:34 am

Ok, It really did not seem like he ever ran other than after the shot so that would make sense

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”