DNR is mowing down my hunting area !

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

DNR is mowing down my hunting area !

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:55 am

I pulled up to my hunting area last nite. And was surprised to see a rig parked there. I start scanning and there are orange flags everywhere. I see some type of all-terrain swamp machine cutting down, brush, cattails, small trees. Everything in it's path !
Has anyone seen this before?
I've seen the DNR do some controlled burning in crp grass, or plow up grassy areas and replant or allow new growth.
But why would they drive into a swamp amd start cleaning it out.
Is there some invasive disease or something ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Carol
Site Admin

Re: DNR is mowing down my hunting area !

Unread postby Carol » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:06 am

I see that here but they are cutting the new snowmobile trails for the winter.

Same thing?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:10 am

Thought NOBODY could destroy/disturb wetlands? My brother n law had the area he hunts clear cut on state land. Funny they must have noticed his stand, cause they left an island of trees around it. :lol: They came back thru and planted some pines here and there. He was bummed, but I told him that is going to be a super food source over the next 3yrs, and then thick cover after that.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:22 am

There are 2 other public areas close to me that are proably 85% lowland brush, cattails, and 15% trees. I drove by them the other day and every single tree is gone ! All cut up and stacked up.

jigglestick

Unread postby jigglestick » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:00 am

it happens. your job now is to recongnize it for what it has now become and what it will become in the next few years, pertaining to how the deer adjust and use it, and then capitolize on it.

years back, we had this outstanding deer woods. all state land but it was land locked by my late ex father inlaws farm. we had the run of several hundred acres. the state came in and clear cut a couple forties and I thought it was horrible. I was a young man back then and only after time, did I realize the bennefits. the clear cut abutted a ridge the tapered down into a swamp that has islands. cool, I haven't thought about that place in a long time...anyway, the clear cut now encouraged the deer to follow the ridge, still under cover of un cut growth, until they popped out at the east end. we took a couple deer out that way. it was the new favorite stand.

the clear cut, lead to fresh aspen growth wich provides brwose for about two years, and then grows into dense cover, perfect for bedding.

the imediate thoughts of the trucks and skidders, and chainsaws, and slashers, was "holy crap what have they done?", the truth is it improved hunting in this heavily forested area.

I should go back there and kick around, some 25 years later. I bet I could kill a buck in there now that I know what I know 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:21 am

I know exactly what you are talking about Swampthing. Around here the DNR has been doing the same thing in some areas and it really pisses me off. The say it is to create better nesting areas for ground birds and by removing the trees and brush they eliminate places for predators to hide. :roll: :evil:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:43 am

Are they harvesting or just clear cutting?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:02 am

Dewey wrote:I know exactly what you are talking about Swampthing. Around here the DNR has been doing the same thing in some areas and it really pisses me off. The say it is to create better nesting areas for ground birds and by removing the trees and brush they eliminate places for predators to hide. :roll: :evil:

I don't like it , but that makes sense I guess. Problem is most of our public is prairie grass already. Very little cover the way it is.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:17 am

Stanley wrote:Are they harvesting or just clear cutting?

Around here they give permits out to citizens to go in a remove the timber. Glad they at least do that but it sucks they are removing good trees when they are tough enough to find in marshes the way it is. :x

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”