Rage haters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mossyoak

Rage haters

Unread postby mossyoak » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Well long story short I filled my Wisconsin bow tag tonight its a decent 9 point. I will post more details later but just wanted to say I made a 40 yard shot with 68 lbs draw and a 28 in draw and had a complete pass through both shoulder blades. Just saying iam not seeing these penetration issues I have been hearing about.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Rage haters

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:57 pm

I personally have never had any issues with rage. I wonder if any issues are light arrows and lower pounds.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Whats a Rage?......
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Zap wrote:Whats a Rage?......

A feeling of intense anger. ;)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Stanley wrote:

I stay away from that level...... 8-)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Zap wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I stay away from that level...... 8-)

I've never used them either. ;)
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:59 pm

:banana-gotpics: :text-worthless:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:00 pm

Some of us younger folks use the word rage as a verb such as "tonight I am going to rage" or "lets rage"....raging is an evening of intense partying....never killed a deer with that yet ;)
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:04 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:

Some of us younger folks use the word rage as a verb such as "tonight I am going to rage" or "lets rage"....raging is an evening of intense partying....never killed a deer with that yet ;)

Thanks for clearing that up....
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Zap wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up....

If you're ever in central WI you're welcome to join...Ive gotten away from "raging" in the last yr or two but every now and again its fun :D

Back to topic lets see those kill pics!
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:44 pm

I haven't ued them and have stayed away from them due to all the horor stories I have heard. I will however be trying the NAP Bloodrunners. They cut a 1-1/8" wide cut even if something happens and they don't deploye. 2-1/16" when open and are also rear deploying.

I would really like to see pics of the pass through of both shoulder blades. No pics it didn't happen. :lol:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:56 am

Are you talking about Rumspringa BackWardsHunteR?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:04 am

Anybody notice Rage rhymes with Cage? :laughing-rolling:

Yes there are haters out there when it comes to mechanicals. Can you imagine all the post we would have seen about the rage, if Dan was using them instead of Muzzy on that buck this year? :roll: Funny there are so many mechanical things around us every day and nobody questions they will or wont work. How did you open the door on your car the last 10k times, its mechanical......... :shock:

Cant wait to see the pics, hoping you process this one yourself and remove the meat off the shoulders. :D
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:21 am

kenn1320 wrote:Anybody notice Rage rhymes with Cage? :laughing-rolling:

Yes there are haters out there when it comes to mechanicals. Can you imagine all the post we would have seen about the rage, if Dan was using them instead of Muzzy on that buck this year? :roll: Funny there are so many mechanical things around us every day and nobody questions they will or wont work. How did you open the door on your car the last 10k times, its mechanical......... :shock:

Cant wait to see the pics, hoping you process this one yourself and remove the meat off the shoulders. :D

I really have a hard time believeing he got thru both shoulder blades on a mature buck. I can't do that with 70 pounds and a tiny sharp fixed broadhead... Most of the time it won't get thru one side. To it happened with a 2 inch or greater blade diameter? That does not even seem possible... I am not in anyway saying your lyeing, just saying I think your mistaken. I would like to see pictures of the two shoulder blades with the holes in them.

As far as Kens comment, with a "rage" I doughbt I would of gotten enough penatration to get the one lung thru the meat I went thru in the frontal hit I made. Also, my muzzy, on my now 60 pound bow could not get tru the far shoulder, I doubt a bigger broadhead would have an easier time. My comments about Rage heads are not based on hatred, or misbeliefs. Its based on all the hard evidence I have seen with tracked deer, and deer I have seen after the recovery examining the shots...

Take any small fixed broadhead and shoot a tree. Shoot the same tree with a rage and see which one gets better / deeper penatration... The one that goes deeper gets my vote. \
Rage does work better on some shots... Like perfectly broadside in liver or guts.
I know some people specifically use them to aim at the liver. A little forward they got lungs, a little back they got guts.. Either way its a dead deer if you wait till the next day to track.. To me thats not ethical to shoot a deer there on purpose... Not something I am willing to do.
But if your shooting a quartering shot in the ribs deployment of those blades can mean cutting thru 5 or 6 ribs cause of the angle, and more pressure on one blade side than the other making the arrow change direction after impact. Heck, it can even happen with small broadheads. The giant ones exaggerate the issue.
And you can't tell me that I will get more penatration with a larger diameter head... Most shoulders on mature deer stop my arrow cold with about 3 inches of penatration if I hit the shoulder blade square. Occasionally I get lucky and break thru... So how could a much larger head get thru one? Or better yet, two?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”