Rage haters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Rage haters

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:37 am

Dan my comment wasn't that you would have gotten that deer if you used rage. I was just saying had you been using rage, we would have heard the haters saying the head probably didn't deploy, or broke, or you should have been shooting a muzzy or similar head. I'm not knocking what you used, just saying when a deer is not recovered on a mechanical head setup, 100% is blamed on the head when in reality it was likely shot placement.

As for this double shoulder blade story, I have my doubts as well and would like to see the shoulder blades minus the meat. Strange things do happen however. I broke both front leg bones and went thru the heart on a 1.5yr old buck years ago. I was shocked the damage that arrow did and so was the guy cutting it up.

Cant wait to see the pics, hoping you process this one yourself and remove the meat off the shoulders. :D

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:40 am

I think it's kind of like the ford vs chevy thing. If you talk to 20 ppl, 10 have had bad deals with one and the other 10 are just the opposite. I've personally switched back and forth a couple diff. times over the years. I made the switch to the rages 2 years ago after i saw my cousins doe he shot. Same shot that was described by mossyoak but not quite as far. I was also hearing about how people were not losing the deer like they were from the fixed broadheads. Personally I really didn't hear that many people knocking the rages until i joined this site?

Looking foward to the pics!
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:58 am

i shot an 8pt last wk with 70lb draw and 28inch draw length with a rage at 12 yds. hit his shoulder blade and only made 4 inches. Lost the deer because of it. Not saying you're a liar either i just would also like to see pics.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:19 am

dan wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:Anybody notice Rage rhymes with Cage? :laughing-rolling:

Yes there are haters out there when it comes to mechanicals. Can you imagine all the post we would have seen about the rage, if Dan was using them instead of Muzzy on that buck this year? :roll: Funny there are so many mechanical things around us every day and nobody questions they will or wont work. How did you open the door on your car the last 10k times, its mechanical......... :shock:

Cant wait to see the pics, hoping you process this one yourself and remove the meat off the shoulders. :D

I really have a hard time believeing he got thru both shoulder blades on a mature buck. I can't do that with 70 pounds and a tiny sharp fixed broadhead... Most of the time it won't get thru one side. To it happened with a 2 inch or greater blade diameter? That does not even seem possible... I am not in anyway saying your lyeing, just saying I think your mistaken. I would like to see pictures of the two shoulder blades with the holes in them.

As far as Kens comment, with a "rage" I doughbt I would of gotten enough penatration to get the one lung thru the meat I went thru in the frontal hit I made. Also, my muzzy, on my now 60 pound bow could not get tru the far shoulder, I doubt a bigger broadhead would have an easier time. My comments about Rage heads are not based on hatred, or misbeliefs. Its based on all the hard evidence I have seen with tracked deer, and deer I have seen after the recovery examining the shots...

Take any small fixed broadhead and shoot a tree. Shoot the same tree with a rage and see which one gets better / deeper penatration... The one that goes deeper gets my vote. \
Rage does work better on some shots... Like perfectly broadside in liver or guts.
I know some people specifically use them to aim at the liver. A little forward they got lungs, a little back they got guts.. Either way its a dead deer if you wait till the next day to track.. To me thats not ethical to shoot a deer there on purpose... Not something I am willing to do.
But if your shooting a quartering shot in the ribs deployment of those blades can mean cutting thru 5 or 6 ribs cause of the angle, and more pressure on one blade side than the other making the arrow change direction after impact. Heck, it can even happen with small broadheads. The giant ones exaggerate the issue.
And you can't tell me that I will get more penatration with a larger diameter head... Most shoulders on mature deer stop my arrow cold with about 3 inches of penatration if I hit the shoulder blade square. Occasionally I get lucky and break thru... So how could a much larger head get thru one? Or better yet, two?

Accurate post to my thinking. :handgestures-thumbup:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:23 am

admiral04 wrote:i shot an 8pt last wk with 70lb draw and 28inch draw length with a rage at 12 yds. hit his shoulder blade and only made 4 inches. Lost the deer because of it. Not saying you're a liar either i just would also like to see pics.

How do you know a fixed would have done any different? I help my father in law cut deer and we have found of fixed bheads broke off in the shoulder blade before?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:25 am

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:34 am

Zap wrote:http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9282&hilit=scapula

No smoke and mirrors there. Verbiage tells what may have happened. Real pictures illustrate what happened. Good job Marty.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:23 am

the fact of the matter is that rage broadheads will NOT penetrate as far as a fixed blade broadhead. typically the smaller the cutting diameter, the less resistance it has as it passes through media, so therefore, a rage with 2 inches of cutting diameter, will actually penetrate considerably less than a 1" cutting diameter fixed or mech. Also, a rage has many different components within the actual constuction of the broadhead, so that is alot of areas that become under stress when passing through tough areas such as a shoulder blade. that is why instead of punching through they often times break or even change course when entering the animal. think of it like bullets. which one will get better penetration, fmj or jhp? the full metal jacket because it retains its shape and construction. (pretty much) the hollow point will expand creating drag so it gets less.. rage is much like a hollow point.. and its advantage is that if you get a good shot through the breadbasket then it will do alot of damage. but you have to get a good shot. it will never do as good of a job as a field point or fixed blade through tough bone. i use the slick trick 4 blade made from soligen steel. 1 1/8 cutting diamter in a 4 blade configuration will do as good as anything out there through bone.
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:53 am

I shoot a very heavy arrow. Heavier I bet then any one on here shoots. Back In 2009 was my 1st year using a very heavy arrow. Prior to that I shot a 570 grain arrow with a 125 grain 1 1/4 diameter 3 blade Snuffer. Anyway, back to 2009. This arrow weighed In at 680 grains. I stayed with a Snuffer but I put a bigger cutting diameter Snuffer on It (1 1/2 cutting diameter). I hit a 4.5 year old buck a tad high In the shoulder blade (didn't know that's where I hit him at the time). I saw him 3 more times and could see my wound the last time I saw him that year (December 19th). I was very disappointed after seeing that and the only thought that came to my mind was that my bigger Snuffer was to big to break through the shoulder blade. December 19th was my very last hunt with that bigger Snuffer. The next year a Muzzle Loader hunter shot this buck. I went over to his place because I had to see where I hit this buck for sure. Sure enough I hit him close to the webed part of the shoulder blade. My broadhead cracked 3/4ths of the blade (up and down) and never did fully penetrate the shoulder. There was a huge chunk of calcium build up on that shoulder. If I would've been shooting my smaller Snuffers this buck would of died, no doubt In my mind. I've hit 2 other animals In this spot before and both times my smaller Snuffer broke through Into the lung.

Fast forward to 2010. I kept the same arrow (340 FMJ) but tried out a single bevel broadhead. This broadhead weighs 220 grains so that upped my total arrow weight to 704 grains. My arrows fly a blazing 155 feet per second. :) A friend of mine made a bad shot on a huge doe. He hit her In the armpit, blood everywhere. He set me up way ahead where he figured she would head and jumped back on the bloodtrail. She came by at 12 yards and bedded. I shot and hit her farther forward then I wanted to. I went through the 1st shoulder blade and poked through the next one. Never have I saw that before but that's what single bevel broadheads do, their bone crushers.

If Indeed this Rage went through both shoulder blades I bet the broadhead didn't catch much of It. On the sides of the blades the cartlidge Is rubbery like. Looking forward to the pics though. Congratulation's on the buck!! 8-)
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:04 am

had to use it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:25 am

I shoot slick tricks for all the reasons already listed. I think the Rage BH is a marketing success story for the manufactures. People see huge blood trials and entry wounds and think they're the best BH in the world. It's a good marketing scheme they've developed. I would think they'd be killer for turkey hunting tho.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:14 am

Forget the broadheads lets see some pics!

:text-worthless:
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:25 am

Schultzy, why do you shoot such a heavy arrow so slow? Not dissin just wondering.I would think your kinetic energy would be way low.I'm not able to figure it at this moment. Or are you shooting traditional?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:46 am

What kind of bow and arrows are you using mossyoak? Congrats on your buck! I have to agree that your results are tough to believe, unless maybe the deer is a 2.5yo?...most people that have penetration issues with rage have shorter draw lengths..lower weights...low ke bows...or are hitting mature deer. One of the deer I shot with rage was 68# 29" draw with a diamond black ice and axis arrows...is was a 1.5 yo buck and I got a complete passthrough the ribs and opposite shoulder at 18 yards. It wasn't sticking in the ground at all so I know my arrow was out of energy after passing through the deer. It would be nice to see some pics...what is your age guess on the buck?
When better is possible, good is never good enough
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:51 am

I hate these threads. Peeing matches over broadheads, seriously? One mans trash is another mans treasure. It all boils down to shot placement.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”