When you killed your buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

When you killed your buck?

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:42 pm

When you killed your mature bucks what was the wind doing? Did you cheat the wind ( kill him when the wind was 90% in his favor and 10% in yours)? Or did you play the wind traditonally?

G3s
500 Club

Re: When you killed your buck?

Unread postby G3s » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:47 pm

I have always played the wind...I can't remember ever having a mature buck downwind and hanging around for long
patman

Unread postby patman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:27 pm

last year I shoot a 2.5 year old on the leward side of a bluff it was almost a perfect wind tunnel when I shot him at about 12:30.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Wind 90 percent in his favor 10 in mine. He was scent checking for does.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:07 pm

its probably been half in his favor and half in mine over the years
When better is possible, good is never good enough
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:46 pm

100% in my favor.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Wind in my face.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Wind was 100% in my favor. Bucks came in with wind at their back! :o
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:08 am

[quote="Dewey"]Wind was 100% in my favor. Bucks came in with wind at their back!

I would have thought that a buck would bed and move with the wind in there favor. Your buck payed the price for not.
jigglestick

Unread postby jigglestick » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:24 am

cwoods wrote:
Dewey wrote:Wind was 100% in my favor. Bucks came in with wind at their back!

I would have thought that a buck would bed and move with the wind in there favor. Your buck payed the price for not.

I don't think that's possible all the time, or they'd never get back home.
I think they use any of their senses to navigate and often times not all of them, sense of smell included. when they have cause for concern because one of their senses picked up on something, that's when multiple senses come into play, so, if you don't tip them off, I could see him walking right to you with the wind on his back.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:13 am

Thanks for all the replies.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:28 am

The wind is some times marginal for both of us. I try to get the advange in my favor as much as possible.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:29 am

I find mature bucks moving with the wind at there back a lot in daylight... I notice they like to enter there beds the same way. I have watched bucks loop out of there way to come in with the wind to there back. I believe this is so they can smell predators tracking them...
However, on the traditional outside of the rut sits I do on bedding areas, especially in hilly terrain, a lot of the time the wind that gets the buck to bed at a certain spot like a point is coming down the point I want to set up on and if I don't "play that wind" so its in his favor, but also mine, he won't bed there...
I can't tell you how many times I have seen hunters success change dramatically in Hill country when they stopped hunting on the ridge side with the wind in there favor and started hunting based on where the bucks bed... I get emails, PM's from people a lot who watched the hill country DVD and said that realixing they wewre hunting where the bucks were not bedding based soley on wind and now that they changed tactics they started killing mature bucks...
I have also noticed bucks in pressured areas, or the truly mature bucks tend to move from there beds a little earlier on days when they can smell in the direction they want to go...
Not a big deal if your 50 to 75 yards from the bed, but it is in those spots where you have to hang back 150 yards or so... A little earlier movement can be the differance between success and failure.
Setting up directly up wind on a buck is a bad idea... But, if you can set up so that the wind is in the bucks face, but your scent is blowing off to the side or over a valley is a great advantage...
Take another look at the current show airing on this site... Look at where that buck was bedding, and his travel rought to where I shot him. I could not have set up any closer or he would of winded me. If I waited for a different wind he would of been bedded somewhere else. But still in the spot where I arrowed him my wind was just off from blowing at him... Maybe to close, but taking the chance arrowed that buck. Hunting somewhere else would not have.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:22 am

Cant remember.... the big bucks I have seen we quartering into the wind almost every time (this is during the rut)
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:39 am

Dan,

What show are you referring to airing on this site , pertaining to bucks bedding and the wind?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”