Doe grunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Doe grunt

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:29 am

This morning while on stand I heard a buck grunt but for the life of me I couldn't find him anywhere. It was around 8:30 after I had watched 9 other deer make their way by me with In 20 yards. Finally this grunt was getting closer. My bow was In hand and I was ready to go but still I couldn't find this buck. There was a doe around while this was going on. The grunts keep getting closer and to my surprise It was this doe. She came by at 10 yards and grunted. It was deeper then some of the bucks I've saw grunt. She made lap after lap around me grunting this morning. What's going on here? She acted like she was looking for a buck and wanting some. I've never heard a doe do this sound either but I've been told doe's will make the sound like the can when their In heat and looking for action.

What you all think?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Doe grunt

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:23 am

I had a group of does and fawns in front of me a few years back, fawns were giving me clear shots but not the does so I patiently waited. As they slowly moved off one of the does grunted at her fawn. I thought I was hearing things until she did it a 2nd time and got the fawns attention. This was in early season so they might do it more often and for different reasons than we will ever know.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:25 am

I have heard does grunt in a very low tone. But it is not like the BURP that bucks make. I hear them make this grunt all season long but it is very soft and short in duration and used to communicate with other nearby dear especially their fawns. If you copy it they will almost always come right in. Very non-aggressive, easy to get a shot.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:38 am

Thanks for the INFO guys. I've been deer hunting for 25 years and I've NEVER heard a doe grunt before. Just goes to show, one's always learning.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:51 am

Schultzy wrote:
What you all think?

I have heard a Doe grunt before... (Seriously)
I usually call these type of deer Chaz Bono. (Not so serious - but kind of)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:01 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Schultzy wrote:
What you all think?

I have heard a Doe grunt before... (Seriously)
I usually call these type of deer Chaz Bono. (Not so serious - but kind of)
:lol:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:19 am

I have heard does grunt, but not very often. Bucks are way more vocal when chasing for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:52 am

I have heard a doe grunt before when it seemed like she was getting frustrated with her fawns. Usually it's when she senses some type danger, maybe human scent, and wants to move on and the fawn is not paying attention to her soft bleats. It's almost like a frustrated mother saying "GET OVER HERE, NOW"

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”