coon hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

patman

coon hunters

Unread postby patman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:19 am

A guy down the road from me is a huge coon hunter has been his whole life. Last couple nights I noticed he's been hunting were I bowhunt so I gave him a call and asked him to hunt one of the many spots he has. His response was that coon hunting had effect on the deer but would hunt somewere else. I think that they go into woods with there dogs and spotlights it has to have some effect. I'm not a anti coon hunter I have gone with him a few times. What do you guys think does coon hunting effect the deer ?

Hilts

Re: coon hunters

Unread postby Hilts » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:21 am

I think it may have some affect but not a whole lot. It's one thing to go sneaking through the woods getting deer nervous. I think it is a completely different thing to go trouncing through making noise, talking along with barking dogs. The deer will know where the intruder is and where they are going at all times. I do not think they perceive as much a threat as just a hassle.

As far as the dogs go... unless they are actually chasing the deer, they won't bother them a bit.
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:25 am

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but here it goes. As long as the dog ISN'T chasing the deer, they don't affect the deer. I have had it were the dog will be treed on one side of the creek and a deer will be bedded not 25 yards away on the other bank. I have seen were we turn the dogs loose in a field and there are deer in the field. The dog goes past them and the deer will just look at them as they pass by. Had a couple of times were I had bucks come within 30 yards of the dogs when they were treed! It seems the deer acted differently at night, like they feel more secure? I don't know, but I have taken numerous land owners with me and showed them the way the deer reacts to the dogs and they can't believe it. Even had it on trail cams were deer came through not 10 minutes after we walked through. But if a dog is chasing them, yeah it does affect them. But most hunters will not put up with a dog that chases deer all the time. Just my personal experience.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:31 am

If your woods is getting all stunk up with human scent it will have an effect.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Stanley wrote:If your woods is getting all stunk up with human scent it will have an effect.

I agree... Human and dog scent has a bad effect. Might not bother them in most areas of the woods, but I know it would bother them in bedding areas. I have had public spots go bad around here when coon hunters started coon hunting near bedding areas...

I have nothing against them coon hunting, its public woods, as much theres as it is ours... OI just move to a different area. Personally I wouldn't ask another not to hunt a public property... I just move on myself.
patman

Unread postby patman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:27 pm

It's not public land it's a 80 acre woodlot between our houses and I only asked him because were friends and I know he's got lots of places to hunt. 80 % of my hunting is on 2000 acre piece of state land but its nice to have a spot 400 yards from my house to hunt after work.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”