Rut reports...........

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Re: Rut reports...........

Unread postby PLB » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:56 am

lynchpin wrote:Slow in the morning today...saw five deer and one buck before 10 am. Left stand because it was slow... saw two 3.5 year old deer cruising for does in the fields at 1230 and 130 cst. Quickly headed back to the woods. Within one hour... had a mature 5 year old and a 3.5 year old chasing a mature doe... at 5pm the 5 year old mounted and succeeded with the doe. (she didn't bust off right away... so assuming he succeeded) He looks to be 160 class buck. He got my heart pumping... he wouldn't leave her side after mating.. I felt bad for the 130 class 3.5 year old... he and I just watched the mature buck do his thing!

Hoping to get a shot at him in the late morning.. can't make it out early...

:shock:

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:17 am

sat this morning and had a doe and fawn under the tree just before shooting light, then they wandered off. At 930 i had a little 8 point come under the tree and grunt a couple times. He wandered off toward where the doe's went.... goin' out tonight to sit next to a big doe bedding area...good luck to all!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:27 am

RaisedByWolves wrote:sat this morning and had a doe and fawn under the tree just before shooting light, then they wandered off. At 930 i had a little 8 point come under the tree and grunt a couple times. He wandered off toward where the doe's went.... goin' out tonight to sit next to a big doe bedding area...good luck to all!

All I had under my tree this morning was another hunter!! Can't believe he couldn't see my climbing sticks! Guess I was hidden pretty good in the tree. :) Oh well staying put till dark. Hopefully things improve then. The spot I am hunting is downwind of a huge doe bedding area and is normally good with a light south wind like I have now. Bucks normally cruise scent checking the trails going in and out of the cattails.
What a nice day!! :) Hard frost this morning but the sun sure feels good.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:39 am

Had a lone doe come out at about 9:30 this morning. Just as she wondered away a little fork horn came by. 10 minutes later a 2.5 year old busted up 8 point came by. Things are starting to heat up. Good luck to all and get in the woods, you can't kill deer from inside your house.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:57 am

sitting right now, have been since 630 this morning...im 1.5 miles back in the absolute middle of this nasty swamp..lota alder. sitting on a narrow strip of grass and brush between two islands...havent even heard anything...im frustrated. im sitting it out thou but i think i will climb down and nap.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:05 am

swamp-assassin wrote:sitting right now, have been since 630 this morning...im 1.5 miles back in the absolute middle of this nasty swamp..lota alder. sitting on a narrow strip of grass and brush between two islands...havent even heard anything...im frustrated. im sitting it out thou but i think i will climb down and nap.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

I feel your pain SwampAssassin. I am on my 4th all day sit since Monday. It has been many hours between deer sightings. All we can do is keep at it. All it takes is the one buck you want to suddenly walk past.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:45 am

I saw a small doe and a yearling 8 point on SE Wisconsin public. Deer are definitely on the move more the last couple days. I'm taking the rest of the day off to do some work around the house, I'll give'r again in the morning.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Just got home from shining. Seems like a big change from last week. Does are back together with fawns and bucks are no following them around like they were last weekend. Almost every buck I saw was by himself feeding in the fields or just wandering and didn't seem anywhere near as worried about does like they were. Wondering if it is just a lull in the rut or if it is done already?? :?
That would explain why many around here have not been seeing much the last 3 days.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:42 am

I also went shining last night. Drove around a public area not far from my house. Saw 40 deer in 45 minutes of shining! I think I have been huntng the wrong marsh!!! 4 bucks pushing a doe around in a field. Also had a dandy walk out on the road in front of the truck as I was pulled over.Very Very nice buck! :shock: Didnt even look at us , just turned and walked up the road till I started to follow..then trotted 50 yards before cutting into a field and walking into some woods. All the rest were does and fawns bedded in cut corn. Like dewey said...alot of does with their fawns. On another note...I have found a place to invest in some good spring scouting...
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:58 am

South of Madison saw a 2.5-3.5yr old buck trotting across the middle of a picked bean field. At around 1pm in the WI Rapids area saw a big buck, prob 3.5yr old, cruising nose down across a wheat field. I spent the last 24hrs on a bus from connecticut and 5hours in a rest stop in Ohio because the bus broke down at 1am. Too tired to hunt tonight I'll be out on public in the morning.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 am

hunted everyday from last thursday through sunday......thursday the only deer I saw were a doe and fawn walking around in my parents backyard midday.
friday morning I had a doe and fawn under the tree before light, and then a small 8 point came cruising in grunting at about 9:30

friday night I went south to columbia county, saw about 9 deer, it was pretty much all little bucks grunting and chasing little does. dad saw about 12, basically the same thing besides a nice 2.5 buck came by chasing a doe hard about 4pm, no shots

saturday was awesome for buck movement, saw 11 bucks and 3 does, 3 of the bucks were 2.5's and one was a 3.5 that was out of range. i treid to shoot the nicest 2.5 which was about a 17" wide 8 or 9 point but he just woulnd't give me the right shot, drew back on him 2 or 3 times. he was guarding a doe and running off other bucks for about an hour, very cool! then I had a little forkhorn bed 10 yards away for an hour facing me :lol: never had a clue.....
about midday I had another 2.5 yo 8 point come in grunting, he passed my stand at 20 yards and was downwind before entering my shooting lane and he smelled something he didn't like so he changed paths.

sunday was a little slower but with another blown opportunity :cry: I saw about 6 bucks and 3 does....late morning I had my head turned when I heard very light footsteps, turned to see about a 15" 8 with a very pretty light colored coat and rack. It looked like he saw me move and was a bit skittish, but then he started on path to my 20 yard lane. He started moving fast so I brrrrp'd him as I was coming to full draw, he only stopped for 1 second and broke off down into the revine before I could get one off, smart little bugger!! He ran up onto the opposite ridge and stood there for about 10 minutes.....then a little black and white cat walked past me and up to the buck and then he blew and went over the ridge, maybe he thought I was just a cat after all....meeoooow! going back out thurs and friday, hopefully the big boys will be roamin'!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:39 am

Sat all afternoon yesterday and seen "0" :oops: Hope this front comng gets them moving.
camocat

Unread postby camocat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:43 am

Should be on after front moves thru.Saw 3 pys over weekend no shot rutting activity is getting close to peaking should be good thru opening of gun.This report is from waupaca county seems like south wind and temps in 50s slowed it down a bit last few days.Good luck 2 all and may your arrow fly true.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:34 am

deer are up and moving after the rain. seen one good buck running an urban area about 2:30. looked to be heading directly into town.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Seeing deer all over in 2 days on 2 separate pieces of public land that I went in blind too I have seen a total 19 deer. I wish the rut would last longer I love all the deer activity. Nothing bigger than 1.5yr olds and does though.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”