What percentage of deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VA5326

What percentage of deer?

Unread postby VA5326 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:55 am

I know this is a loaded question, however I was just wondering what everyone else thought. What percentage of deer (mainly mature bucks) do you think you have not seen in your lifetime while hunting? I'm talking about because either he winded you and took a different route, saw you before you saw him and slipped by(or around) you, or you were just looking the other way when he went by. I know there is really no way of telling exactly how many but I imagine in my lifetime of hunting, several mature deer have gotten by me without me seeing it. I just think about crap like this when I'm on the stand for hours on end. Have a great Monday :roll:

VA

If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
dreaming bucks

Re: What percentage of deer?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 am

I don't think I want to know :lol:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:29 am

Good question. Not sure we will find an answer but I have thought about this often. I don't know how many times I have just seen a flash or tail end of the deer and wondered what it was. Then you start to think about all the deer that were there and you never knew it. Like dreaming said I don't want to know.

Just a fun example, I shot a buck rifle season a long time ago, I just happened to look over and he was standing there. I slowly got the gun up and squeezed off a shot and got a nice lil 8 pointer. Well it snowed that morning so I was able to see where this deer cam from. He walked right in on my trail into my stand and got to within 15 yards of me, stood there for a while watching me before he figured out something wasn't right, he then proceeded to double back and made a loop around me crossing 2 of my shooting lanes. I finally saw a shot him in the 3rd shooting lane but I was amazed I never heard or saw this deer, he was never further away than 70 yards. Now these woods are thick so you can't see more than20 yards in most spots but it was still pretty crazy to know he was right there and I never knew it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:35 am

Good question. I have no idea. My guess would be at least 50%.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:39 am

Way to many thats all I know!!!!!!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:30 am

Probably as many as I have seen...
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:30 am

VA5326 wrote:I know this is a loaded question, however I was just wondering what everyone else thought. What percentage of deer (mainly mature bucks) do you think you have not seen in your lifetime while hunting? I'm talking about because either he winded you and took a different route, saw you before you saw him and slipped by(or around) you, or you were just looking the other way when he went by. I know there is really no way of telling exactly how many but I imagine in my lifetime of hunting, several mature deer have gotten by me without me seeing it. I just think about crap like this when I'm on the stand for hours on end. Have a great Monday :roll:

VA

I thought about this a little bit before, pretty painful actually :lol: . I am sure there were a lot of mature bucks that laughed at me and went the other direction when i was young and dumb. Now that i am a little older and not quite as dumb, i think i have done better but as Dan said, probably just as many as i see, i don't see.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 am

I bet 80% or more. I have probably seen less than 15 bucks that most would consider a trophy while on stand(maybe not even that many, its been too many years), but I bet 3 times that many have seen me, winded me, or walked by when I was looking elsewhere or day dreaming.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 am

Way too many! Really hard to put a number on it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:20 pm

This is 1 thing I learned when I started filming is you miss seeing a lot of deer on the back side of the tree, although you have more scent & more movement @ times having 2 sets of eyes looking around & not having to move much to see you end up seeing a lot more deer then you do by yourself. When in the tree now I would say 75% of the time we see them, I'm sure some smell or see us before they get within range.. Going in & out off the stand who knows, way too many get walked past or sneek out undetected.
I know one thing my partner is dang lucky there was 2 of us in the tree last year or I doubt he would have killed his buck. We were only in the stand a couple minutes & I saw his tines rubbing a tree 45 yarda away & his bow was on the ground yet, I watched the deer & told him when to pull his bow up quickly, he did & killed him @25 yards seconds after getting his bow up.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:25 pm

I tell people at hunting shows all the time, you will never know how many deer you have spooked and not ever know it.

Quiet on stand is something you can control. Good post
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:35 pm

I also would rather not know! It might bum me out to much.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Dont even want to know, id probably cry :lol: :lol:
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:04 am

I'd actually like to know so that I could learn from mistakes but, in the end, there's no way of telling.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:15 am

Most of them ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”