I Was Watching Lee and Tiffany...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

I Was Watching Lee and Tiffany...

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:46 pm

..and Im noticing that 95% of their stand locations are on the edge of a field or a food plot, and 95% of the deer they kill are in those field plots and fields, and it made me wonder a few things...

1) Why do their mature bucks come out into the fields and plots during daylight? Are they just that unpressured? Even when they are in there in the summer hanging stands, trimming lanes, checking cams, etc, etc..

2) Do you think that their property holds more bucks that are more mature than the ones they are typically seeing and never come out into the fields and stuff until dark, and they never get a shot at them? Would they kill even bigger deer if they hunted "beast-style" near beds like Dan and Andrae?

BigHunt

Re: I Was Watching Lee and Tiffany...

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:48 pm

very very good question im interested on other s replies on this thread
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:55 pm

just a guess, but i bet those mature bucks have never been shot at, only passed on, so they do not have the fear of human intrusion like we all see with whitetails we hunt.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Matyre bucks walk field edges in the daylight in lotsa places.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Zap wrote:Matyre bucks walk field edges in the daylight in lotsa places.

Really ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:08 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:
Zap wrote:Matyre bucks walk field edges in the daylight in lotsa places.

Really ?

:lol: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:10 pm

BCam wrote:just a guess, but i bet those mature bucks have never been shot at, only passed on, so they do not have the fear of human intrusion like we all see with whitetails we hunt.

Ya this is part of it and these type of deer make up most of the deer these so called professionals shoot. I would definitely have to believe that on the majority if not all these properties including a lot of outfitters there are bucks that they never come close to killing. I know its that way for the Drury boys but they may be the only ones that will say it.

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:11 pm

Most of their hunts that I have seen occur in the rut or chase periods, so I am not surprised to see the daytime movement. From my understanding Lee has excellent management philosophies and properties (e.g. they are shooting 4yo and older bucks, 3yo bucks walk) They don't make a big deal of it but I recall episodes where Tiffany or Lee start out their interview saying (day 29 on stand), so while the show gives the impression that they see and score on mature animals every hunt out, I don't think that is the reality.

I'm not trying to defend them, but rather looking at it from another perspective. I wish I could hunt properties that well managed. Could they kill bigger bucks hunting beast style? Perhaps, but doing it the way they do seems they are killing mature deer every year. I think "beast" style helps the average doe with less than 29 days to sit on a stand score on mature animals. If "beast" style is what I think it is which is hunting in and around close proximity to bedding. This is a sure way to burn out spots within a hunt or two. I often hunt this way but the rotation must be high and I usually only hunt these locations 2-3 times a season max.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Awesome management and low pressure. I specifically remember seeing that Lee said last year that he was now passing everything under 4 years old. That's just impressive management and self control.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Is there a chance a lot of those deer are BIG but not exactly mature? I'm sure some are. But I'd say the awesome management may lead to younger bucks with bigger racks. Just a thought.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:43 pm

I do think passing deer when they are young can certainly help make them a little less warry because they have never had a negative encounter with a human. I am also pretty certain Lee and Tiff have a pile of bucks to hunt so it's just a matter of time. Not saying the don't hunt hard or smart but their odds of running into a mature buck on a field edge are many times greater than most.

Heck it's pretty rare to see a 2 year old out in the open anywhere I have ever hunted.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:50 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Is there a chance a lot of those deer are BIG but not exactly mature? I'm sure some are. But I'd say the awesome management may lead to younger bucks with bigger racks. Just a thought.

Yes that's true, but they go more after age class than inches, so I would say the bucks they ate killing are truly mature..

And James, excellent answer.. The episode I was way hong tonight took place on October 5th and 6th, and I believe lee said he killed his big buck last year on oct 6th or so as well, so these particular deer clearly are not being killed during the rut. You definitely bring up a good point with the amount of days they hunt though!

I was just curious if a simple lack of pressure is what leads to these large mature deer entering fields in broad daylight..and if the deer they are seeing in the fields truly are the most mature deer on their property..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:58 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:Is there a chance a lot of those deer are BIG but not exactly mature? I'm sure some are. But I'd say the awesome management may lead to younger bucks with bigger racks. Just a thought.
I was just curious if a simple lack of pressure is what leads to these large mature deer entering fields in broad daylight..and if the deer they are seeing in the fields truly are the most mature deer on their property..

I once read an article in D&DH of a study completed that showed a well educated and diligent hunter will only see 1/4 of the mature animals on his/her property. I wish i could recall the author or full details.

Didn't Lee kill a freaky buck that he had 7 or 8 years of history with last year or the year before (lots of mass, odd non-typical)? That being the case I would say they don't always see or kill the most mature deer.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Extremely unpressured deer during pre rut and rut. I just have on question. I want to say first, I understand management practices, but at what point does it just become deer farming? I know you cant shoot big mature deer if you dont let them walk, but where is the line between management and farming? I might get some criticizm for that but thats what it feels like to me some times with those big names. I give them props though, they pass tons of deer i would never and thats what it takes.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:14 pm

I think they have, what most wish for, lots of well managed land. I read or heard somewhere that they control 3000 acres of private land. In the Midwest that is a ton of land. Most guys have much less to work with. Plus Tiffany looks good. :whistle:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”