Hunting area real thick

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Hunting area real thick

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:12 am

there is some public ground by me that in a lot of areas is really thick. It's so thick that it's almost impossible to penetrate. Do I just hunt the edges? I'm going to walk it this winter to find some areas, but it seems there may be no way to get inside to hang a set for the day.

BigHunt

Re: Hunting area real thick

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 am

welcome to the fourm.....

what does the trees look like around this area ...can you set up any wear close
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:30 am

Welcome to the BEAST Brian...
Bowhunting public land bucks is a game of inches. To close and you bump the buck, to far and he don't get to you in daylight. You usually get only one or two chances before a buck knows your after him and they become pretty hard to kill at that point...
For now, I would push as close as possible to where you think they are bedding or exiting the thick cover... You really need to get in there in spring and do some detective work and really put the pieces together...
One other thing that may help you would be to study aerials and topo's and try and decipher bedding areas, or fingers into the thick area, or other ways to enter like a river, trail, etc...
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:43 am

That's all I hunt. I literally need to go in holding pruning shears or even better, lightweight loppers to cut my way in. They'll be seams that provide easier access, use those to get in. Surprisingly a lot of times they'll be spots where thing will open up.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:22 am

A real windy day and cut your way in. If you try it on a calm day you're cooked before you get started.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:57 am

If there is a will there is a way in there. I am on my hands and knees getting into some spots. Your best bet would be to trim a little trail in there. The deer will start to use it so be sure to get your shot off before they scent you. Like suggested earlier it might not be a bad idea to bring a pair snippers, then slowly and quietly trim your way in this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”