Activity picking up in the daytime.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Activity picking up in the daytime.

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:
lungbuster wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:It sucks he lost those deer, but to blame the BH for crappy shots makes absolutely no sense.

My point is I have had similiar shots with a fixed blade head and recovered the animals. I have no doubt if I had been using the rage that I would not have recovered them. And i totally blame the head for not getting a pass thru, there is absolutely no reason a paunch shot should not go through the animal, even if it hit a rib.(quartering away) Also the shot on the 150 2 years ago was not terrible, on the video you would swear it was a perfect double lung hit, but again the arrow did not pass through completely and the blood trail was sparse, the arrow did pop out of that buck about 150 yards into the trail, now one would think that with the head jarring around in the deer it would do alot more damage, but think about it , if the blades closed back up because the arrow backed out some, only the tip would have cutting area exposed, whereas with a fixed blade the head would be cutting the whole time it was in the deer regardless of whether the arrow backed out at all.

All i know is that this was the third buck I have helped him track after he switched to rages that was a miserable or impossible recovery, I am not only blaming the head, I am blaming the shot placement, bad shots happen sometimes it's part of the gig, but with a fixed blade head I have seen much better outcomes than I have with the rage.

Sounds to me like he is shooting light poundage and light weight arrows trying to push that big 2" cut through. I shoot Rage, Thunderheads, Spitfires, and Snuffers out of all my bows and have the same results with all. But I shoot well tuned bows, fairly heavy poundages, and heavy arrows. A bad shot is a bad shot, it doesn't matter what head you have on. A bigger cutting head can actually be MORE forgiving of bad shots as it can catch something vital a smaller head wouldn't.

I would look into a lot of other things first before I would blame the BH. Check his set up, Tune if the arrows aren't hitting perfectly straight penetration is hindered. Just because someone is shooting a expandable doesn't mean their arrows are flying perfect. It also sounds like this guy needs to practice more.

I don't know what kind of arrow weight he has. But in the whitetail hunting industry there is absolutely NO WAY that 65lbs at 28" is not producing well more than enough energy to kill the deer. Yes shot placement is everything.....BUT I will never advocate mechanical heads over fixed blades. This is not an isolated story and is all too common with Rage and the likes. Rage does well with very clever marketing. It takes minimal energy to open the head sure....but it takes a lot more to push that head through the body. I shot a 70lb Mathews Drenalin with 414 grn Easton FMJ's tipped with Rage heads....killed a lot of deer..NEVER got a complete pass through.....maybe I should have been shooting 80 or 90 lbs eh? I switched to G5 Strikers and have had nothing but pass thru, easy tracking short blood trails to my deer most of which died in sight. I am now shooting a 60lb Bowtech Invasion CPX with a 350grn VAP......same results whips through them like butter. I have a Bear Carnage 50lbs shooting Trophy Ridge Crush arrows@ 392 grns...same thing. You don't need to be shooting high poundage...you need a better cutting, deeper penetrating broadhead which can only be provided with a fixed blade. The only "advantage" to a mechanical is field point accuracy (which isn't always the case) but it takes 10 minutes of your year to tune a fixed blade head.....so I really don't get it. When hunting I say stick with the K.I.S.S. theory.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Activity picking up in the daytime.

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:34 pm

That sucks :x COC for me!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”