Need help with this buck i shot guys!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Need help with this buck i shot guys!

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:09 am

Not to happy to say this but a buck came in tonight about 5:45, I shot him at 15 yds and hit him in the right shoulder blade. my arrow only got 4-5"... the arrow stayed in him for ab 75 yds. i walked until i found my arrow and decided to back out. it has nice thick, bright red blood but only got 4-5". blades are all bent up and theres plenty of meat on it. couldn't tell if he was bleeding bad after the arrow fell because i didn't want to go further and push him and it was raining hard. What you guys think? am i gonna find him in the morning or did I just live up the bad archery hunter stereotype?

Dewey

Re: Need help with this buck i shot guys!

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:18 am

What angle did they arrow go in? Was he broadside or quartering away? Doesn't sound like enough penetration so you will probably have a very hard time finding him. Sorry to hear that. Been there and done that. Happens to the best of us sooner or later. Hate to sound negative about finding him and hope I am wrong.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:27 am

i would go look for it right know if it was raining ....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:40 am

Dewey wrote:Doesn't sound like enough penetration so you will probably have a very hard time finding him. Sorry to hear that. Been there and done that. Happens to the best of us sooner or later. Hate to sound negative about finding him and hope I am wrong.

x2

I hit a buck like that once. Broadside shot. There was a loud crack as the arrow hit him. He took off and the arrow broke right after the shot as he went by a big tree. I was using a fixed blade head, only had a few inches of penetration. The part of the arrow I found had some meat on it and some blood that had some bubbles. I believe I got part of one lung. There was good blood for about 100-200 yards, then it slowly disappeared, and by 1/2 mile the blood was gone. I never found him.

I hope you find him but based on what you describe I'm not sure you will. Sounds like you got one lung. Those are tough tracking. He could eventually die but there's a chance he could recover too.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:01 pm

If he was quartering away there is a good chance he will survive but broadside you may have hit one lung like Mountain Man said and he may eventually die. Years ago I hit one in the shoulder like you described and never found him. The next weekend I saw him again and he was chasing a doe looking no worse for the wear. Deer are tough animals and it is amazing what they can recover from.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:01 pm

With what you described I would say best case ( or worse, depending on how you look at it ) you got one lung... If it were me, I would not of stopped tracking him.... I have recovered several one lung hit bucks, but never recovered one that I gave time.
One lung hits make it hard for the deer to breath and if they run or exert themselves they are short of breath and choking on blood. Also, stressing the deer by pushing him will make him bleed more by elevating his heart rate and getting him to create adrenalin which acording to my medical studys is a natural blood thinner which will also increase bleeding. Every one lunged buck I recovered I had to finish off with an arrow or knife. Most of the time one lungers are not recoverd, but sometimes you get lucky.
The bucks usually eventually die but that could take a few days... I shot a buck a few years ago that had a wound and was missing one lung obviously from the year befores archery season, so they can sometimes live... But that buck grew 1 inch stubs for antlers because of the stress of the one lung...
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Sounds like a shoulder blade hit to me...though you usually don't get 5 inches. I'd say you have low odds at best, but you never know. Good luck!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Good luck with it.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:07 pm

What kind of broadhead were you using? If your arrow came out intact and you missed the lung he will survive. I killed a buck two years ago that had a broken arrow still in his shoulder. Arrow in shoulder would not allow wound to heal, deer dies from sepsisl.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Dor wrote:Sounds like a shoulder blade hit to me...though you usually don't get 5 inches. I'd say you have low odds at best, but you never know. Good luck!
Agree.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:13 pm

thanks for the help everyone, i wish i would have kept going now. i backed out trying to do the right thing and to answer everyone he was just barely quartering away and yes it did make a loud crack when it hit. i was using a rage mechanical which stuck in him for 75 yards and then the whole arrow pulled back out the rage was twisted up pretty bad and definately had done some digging when he ran.. he ran along the stream i was hunting so i'm praying hes laying in the stream when i go in the morning. makes me sick the thought of wounding a deer. and so everyone knows he was just an average 8pt. thanks for the help and i'll keep you all posted
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Good luck in the AM.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Good luck. Hope you find him.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Dewey wrote:Good luck. Hope you find him.

x2
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:36 pm

Shoulder blade. I think that the blood on the arrow that indicates penetration is likely blood that ran out and coated the arrow making it seem like the arrow went in. My bet is that buck will be just fine.

I have been wrong before so good luck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”