Need help with this buck i shot guys!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woody-san

Re: Need help with this buck i shot guys!

Unread postby woody-san » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:57 am

I wounded a nice buck in 2009 and it would have been my first buck with a bow. I had a hard quartering away shot and I hit him high around that shoulder blade. I saw a lot of arrow sticking out as he ran away. We tracked him for about a half mile before we had no more blood or tracks. I hunted for him in nearly the same spot the next day but to no avail. I felt like crap dude. And really, if you don't feel like crap after wounding an animal you're after, you probably need to seek counseling and give up hunting because you're in it for some dark reasons! So the fact that you feel bad is actually a good thing. My best advice is to fling some arrows in the back yard, get confident, review the deer anatomy again (everyone should from time to time) and then get back out there. I did and a week after my wounding I put down my first buck (a different buck), which really helped me overcome feeling crappy.

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:22 am

Stanley wrote:
admiral04 wrote:well guys i just got back and the majority of you were right. I found him bedded 400 yds away in some goldenrod. I watched him run for about 100yds and he ran fine and didn't act hurt a bit. Checked his bed and there wasn't one drop of blood. I think he will be fine, i didn't get deep enough. still, makes me sick to my stomach knowing theres a deer out there with even a shallow hole in him.I'm fine with losing the deer for myself but not fine knowing i wounded one..nothing i can do now though. thnx for the help. if anyone needs my i'll be outside shooting my block apart :lol:

Good job on manning up to it. I respect you for that. I think the deer will heal up and be fine.

He will be fine and is probably chasing does as I type.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:23 am

Brandon wrote:Thats why i wont shoot a rage... ive heard the same story over and over with those heads.

I truely belive with a fixed, steel head you would have broken the shoulder, or at least had more penatration.

I know you rage guys love that huge hole, but you need something that will break bone as well.

Good luck on the next buck.

Rage certainly doesn't help your penetration, but I have made that exact same shot with probably 5 different heads with the same result. It happens unfortunately.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:24 pm

If you gave up, wait for the buzzards to show up in a couple of days. They'll circle all day and then go look in that area where they are circling. I've seen it before on a shot just like yours. I wouldn't have stopped looking. Eventually you would run him down. I'm no expert, just some thoughts. Best of luck to ya! If you find him we want pics!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”