what do i do when there are zero acorns?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

what do i do when there are zero acorns?

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:58 am

So for some reason there are absolutely no acorns what so ever any where in my entire County. I have hunted 4 sits now and not seen a single deer, might not sound out of the norm for some of you guys but we have deer densities of anywhere from 45-80 deer per square mile.

For the first 10 years I bowhunted I never shot does. I for some reason decided I was going to be a trophy hunter from the beginging LOL. With no exaggeration I could have shot a doe or a couple does almost every time I hunted, but I never did.be so for the past few years I've been shooting does.

Fast forward to present. I started hunting Connecticut on September 15th, public land completely new too me . Hunted 8 or 10 times and never saw a single deer. I was setting up on hot sign, suspected bedding areas ect ect ect. I figured it was just heavily hunted public and new too me, no problem when New York rolls around ill be back on my own turf.

So I've hunted 4 times, no deer and more alarming no acorns in my spots, now I realize there weren't any acorns in CT either.

We have ZERO agricultutre in this area, but our hardwoods are primarily Oaks, Ash, Maple, Beech and Birch, but the oaks are everywhere. Acorns are the major food source and I've never known any other way of hunting whitetails around here. I now suspect my lack of deer sightings are directly related to no acorns.

My problem is that if they aren't eating acorns what are they eating? We don't have fields, or crops of any kind, but I have to change my tactics. What will the deer be eating in this scenario? Clearly the bedding (for does) has changed because of the food source, but I have no idea where they are.

Any help you guys could give me would be appreciated. Im sure some of you veterans hunt in areas with out agriculture. Very frustrating and discouraging to not see a deer for ever a dozen sits..........

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Zap

Re: what do i do when there are zero acorns?

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:17 pm

I would be looking for any fresh cut gress or crp type fields with weed seeds....

Grass is still growing where there is moisture.
Cut hay fields., honeysuckle, locust pods.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:22 pm

BTW, it can all change in a few minutes.......keep at it. :mrgreen:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:17 pm

If you are hunting areas with high numbers of deer and are not seeing any deer. My suggestion would be; it's not what the deer are doing its what the hunter isn't doing. If there are no white acorns you can't hunt a white acorn pattern that worked well last year. I would look at some other preferred food sources such as Paw paw, apples, persimmon, red oak. I think some of these are in the areas you are hunting. Green fields are also a place to look. Deer also like watermelon and pumpkins. I would also look at water sources. It wont' be long and the pattern will change to rut, this should also help your hunting. It is hard for anyone to give functioning advise, but some ideas thrown out might get you to thinking. Good luck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:26 pm

If you are hunting hardwoods area in public land I would venture to guess you have clearcut areas somewhere around. Key in on those and you'll find the deer, and the bucks. Deer will browse in these all year long.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Stanley wrote:If you are hunting areas with high numbers of deer and are not seeing any deer. My suggestion would be; it's not what the deer are doing its what the hunter isn't doing. If there are no white acorns you can't hunt a white acorn pattern that worked well last year. I would look at some other preferred food sources such as Paw paw, apples, persimmon, red oak. I think some of these are in the areas you are hunting. Green fields are also a place to look. Deer also like watermelon and pumpkins. I would also look at water sources. It wont' be long and the pattern will change to rut, this should also help your hunting. It is hard for anyone to give functioning advise, but some ideas thrown out might get you to thinking. Good luck.

Agreed Stan, but whith no crops at all no fields and no acorns at all I just don't know where to look, we literally have so many oaks that its all I have ever seen deer eat around here. My fear is that they are bedding very close to the yards and eating peoples shrubs all night.

MattyG

Unread postby MattyG » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Ack wrote:If you are hunting hardwoods area in public land I would venture to guess you have clearcut areas somewhere around. Key in on those and you'll find the deer, and the bucks. Deer will browse in these all year long.

your right about that if you can find any logging going on.......the deer eat the crap out of the tops of trees. its always a great cuple years when they log off whare i have hunted.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:59 pm

There's no logging either...the closest thing we have to ffields are power lines. I might take the afternoon off and drive around to try and see what they are feeding on

Its tough to bounce arround when your hunting small 5-25 acre wood lots between houses annd highways.

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:12 pm

I know exactly what kind of areas your hunting, the mid west guys wont, they dont understand that 99% of the area is under canopy, they just cant fathom that, cause its the oposite there. You have to find sign, if the deer arent there dont waist your time, they eat alot more then just accorns, keep digging you will find them take a day off from hunting and walk. Another thing is when you do find them make a note of what there eating, and how they adapt to a non accorn year, it will happen again in your lifetime. I would start low by water or marsh myself.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:31 pm

You have just described my circumstances to a T. I live in NY in the catskill mountains. We have got zip for acorns. I have sat five sits and seen one deer. Our deer densities are nothing like you describe but I am accustomed to seeing a few deer each sit. I am going to have to scout my but off to try to get on game. I went mobile last night and hunted a pretty good rub line,saw one deer. It was windy as heck,which didn't help.
I have seen four bears and yesterday afternoon I walked up on an absolute monster black bear. I snuck to within between 20 and 25 yards. He was on his back sleeping. I watched him roll over,saw the pink on the insides of his jowls. He got up twice to reposition himself and then he flopped down like a dog would.
It was in an area of dense saplings,and yes I was trying to find a lane to get an arrow through. I was fairly calm for being that close to what I know was a boar that went 450 to 500 pounds. If I had an opening and he was broadside or quartering away I would have taken the shot. I backed out with him never knowing I was there. I figured if I didn't blow him out of there I would have another opportunity.
The food situation is definitely going to make it interesting this season!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:39 am

I suspect they could be just feeding in people's yards and not moving much. Power lines and ditches could also be potential feeding areas. is there any thick brush that the deer could be browsing on? What about low land areas? I think people would be shocked at how much food a swamp can hold, I have watched deer feed for hours in places I would have never suspected there was a thing to eat. There is good food somewhere in your area, just keep on looking for it.

Any chance you could post up an aerial and we could take a guess on what they might be feeding on?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:21 am

I would scan topo's for swamps and check the transitions and high spots within the swamps or marshs, I would also look for elevation changes, and transtion lines of cover... Over all, if its all mature hardwoodf like you claim, swamps would hold the most food... The powerline cut you described might be a good transition to hunt along if its not recieving pressure. There will definatly be some food in the cut.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Good solid advise guys, Im going to try and switch things up a little bit.

Went for a ride tonite and all the deer I could see from the road were in small grass patches or lawns, eating grass and freshly fallen leaves.

I tried posting a topo for one of the properties but Im having trouble on Photo Bucket. Im headed out in the morning, Hopefully my luck will change.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Find recently cut grass where it stays damp.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”