How to rut hunt brand new public land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

How to rut hunt brand new public land

Unread postby Brad » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:15 am

I have a bunch of new spots some of which I haven't stepped foot on(but have seen the arial photo's off) that I want to start hunting for the rut. Most of the areas were found late July early August, so I didn't want to risk contaminating them. I have waited until now because as the leaves are falling off, my visibility is sure to improve so I can see more area from a distance without tromping through everything. My dilemma is since these will be a lot of blind hunts, would you guys go in in the dark and set up on a hunch in the funnels , or would you sneak in there in the dark and set up on the ground so if your out of place, you can adjust faster (and quieter). This is what I am thinking of now, going in blind and setting up on the ground, and then if I like what I see popping up the stand and sitting from say 7ish through the rest of the day. I almost hate to risk spending a half hour setting up in the dark and then being 30 or 40 yards out of place, and then having to climb down and re setup plus you cant really get a feel for the brush etc. when its dark. What would you guys do? I have taken October 27th through November 13th off and I will be hunting the weekends too of course. I figure its bound to happen sooner or later this year.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How to rut hunt brand new public land

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:21 am

During the ruts cruising phase I wait till daylight to enter propertys I am not familar with...
I know that don't sound right but there are a couple good reasons for this.
#1 I don't see much movement in the 1st hour or two.
#2 I don't want to wander in the wrong area and contaminate the area with my scent by getting off track
#3 Its dead silent in the woods just before daylight and everything will hear you, but birds and other animal noises will fill the air at dawn giving you some cover.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:31 am

i just posted a similar question. good info dan! thats going to be my strategy too!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:36 pm

dan wrote:During the ruts cruising phase I wait till daylight to enter propertys I am not familar with...
I know that don't sound right but there are a couple good reasons for this.
#1 I don't see much movement in the 1st hour or two.
#2 I don't want to wander in the wrong area and contaminate the area with my scent by getting off track
#3 Its dead silent in the woods just before daylight and everything will hear you, but birds and other animal noises will fill the air at dawn giving you some cover.

I also like to go about it this way. I would much rather set up in the RIGHT spot after daylight then the WRONG spot before daylight. Like Dan said, first light movement is usually minimal....be ready in the right spot for that 9:00 movement.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”