Hunting a Buck's Bed in the Morning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Footballer

Hunting a Buck's Bed in the Morning

Unread postby Footballer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:17 am

I've been contemplating whether I should hunt over a bucks bed Saturday morning. I don't have confirmation a buck is using this area right now, but I've killed a buck here in the past. I don't think I will be able to hunt this area in the evenings due to the location.

How early do you get in your stand when hunting beds in the morning? Is it worth it?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Hunting a Buck's Bed in the Morning

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:31 am

I tried a morning hunt on a moon day in early Oct. I was setup in the tree a solid hour before first shooting light. Not long after I got setup I heard deer walking on the edge of the bedding area. Now I can't be sure but I suspect the deer could have been in their beds already or feeding on the edge and the they heard/saw me enter the bedding area and setup. That I didn't see a deer might also confirm this. It was a hard area to hunt in the evening so I thought I would give it a shot, it didn't work out this time but might be worth another shot closer to the rut.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting a Buck's Bed in the Morning

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:36 am

I think its worth it... As the rut is starting to come into play bucks are starting to get back to there beds later now... I am seeing a lot more daytime movement than just a week ago. Even in the wind.
I would hunt directly over the bed, and if I was able to choose between days I would look for a moon over head or under foot morning to do the hunt, but that might not be needed anymore as mornings should start getting good now.
I would get in there early... If it were me an hour or more before daylight. Mature bucks tend to get back to bed early and the night is so silent that it needs time to settle from when you set up till when he arrives.
Your access rought is extremly important in the morning... Avoid walking where you expect the buck to come from... They often aproach there beds with the wind to there backs ( so they can smell predators tracking them ) You also want to avoid areas you expect the buck might be feeding when you access... Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”