Decoy Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pink

Decoy Question

Unread postby Pink » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:22 am

I am going to try a decoy for the first time this year. I am hoping it will help me in two ways, one of course is to lure in a nice buck. The second reason is I am stuck to sit in a fairly bald tree in one of my spots, and am hoping it will help to keep the deer focused on the decoy and not me - as much. I was wondering about the decoy position. Does it matter which way I face it? I was thinking it should face away from me like it is looking away.?.? What do you guys do?

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Re: Decoy Question

Unread postby Casper » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:32 am

Face it toward you. Bucks will always circle a decoy to face them head on... Brings them right in your lap. I generally put the decoy at 20 yards.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Pink

Unread postby Pink » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:42 am

That makes sense. Not what I was thinking, but thats why I asked. Thanks!
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:04 am

from my past experience, typically a buck will aproach a buck decoy head on, a buck will typically approach a doe from the rear to sent check her. these actions are what most fequently what happens when hunting pre-rut, rut, and post rut. -thats what I have found anyway.

I have killed 4 bucks like this in the past 5 seasons, and let a bunch go that were too small.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:40 am

always be downwind of your decoy (duh) and try to keep that decoy as scent free as you can. put a few drips of buck urine on the ground by your decoy, never on it.

this is my first year with a decoy as well.

i have another question... i bought a boss buck very used, it only has 1 antler that functions properly, the other just sorta hangs there not quite fully up. Will this matter? Will using one horn matter? I'm guessing no.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:46 am

I like to put a buck decoy quartering toward instead of head on... yes they will approach downwind side towards head of decoy... but I have found that most decoys are posed in full alert or aggressive poses and when faced towards your stand will have other deer investigating what this buck is posturing/looking at... so quartering towards for me...

It is awesome when you get one all worked up and coming, stiff legged, ears pinned, drooling, maybe even a wheeze or two. The bad part is usually smaller bucks come in and grub your decoy before Mr Big shows up
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Pink

Unread postby Pink » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:03 am

I am hoping for some good action like that. I like to video my hunts, so gettin some actoin like that would be almost as good as shooting one!
Casper
500 Club

Unread postby Casper » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:36 am

Here's a good example for you. This afternoons sit.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:53 am

Casper....
It looks like you just have a buck out.... Do you ever try putting a doe with it laying down bedded by the buck ? I'm just wondering, if a guy has both, a buck and a doe, should you try both ?

Also, do you rattle alot then, or just leave them out there silent ?
Casper
500 Club

Unread postby Casper » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:00 am

Ik ppl who use two with success but I just use one. Bucks testosterone levels are so high right now that all u need is a buck during pre rut. I had a 150 come out two weeks ago with the same wind, if I see him in same place ill grunt n if its too windy to hear I'll rattle at him. I won't be blind rattling or grunting tonight but I like to when things start kicking in.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:25 am

I sat in on a Gary Clancy seminar a few years ago on decoying deer. He said pre rut use a buck and during the rut you can use either or both. He said always have it set so as the deer comes face to face or face to rear (doe) that he offers you a shot as he is coming in. He also suggested using a buck with either one horn (possibly inferior buck thats already lost a fight) or one that has 30 inches less of antler than you hope to kill, and his reasoning was a big buck may not get mad over a 1.5 year old, amused maybe but not fired up, and he compared it to leaving your wife at the bar and coming back to see a 15 year old hitting on her vs coming back and seeing a 25 or 30 year old hitting on her. He also said it has to be 100% scent free (Duh!), and to spray either dominant buck urine or doe estrous on the GROUND around it, not the decoy. He also mentioned setting it up where it can be seen for a long ways, and DONT use them in thick brush, because the deer may not see it until he is very close and it could startle him (this happened to me on a 140" buck). I would say calling and rattling in combination to the decoy would be the best way to go.
mdnabors

Unread postby mdnabors » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:43 pm

You mite want to foward thru some of the intro, but here is my 09 KS hunt with bedded doe and tending buck decoys. I rattled just before the buck showed up. Only thing I would do different next time is remember my spray to spray down decoys and make scent free. I hung up dominant buck and estrous scent nearby. Almost cost me, but I ended up calling him back in and sealing the deal. Real windy hunt too, but decoys held his attention. Ready to try them out again when the time is right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrYudKSdvc0
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:00 pm

That's a great video, thanks for posting !
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:18 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:That's a great video, thanks for posting !

X2
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:22 pm

I too like to put the decoy slightly 1/4ering to me. I have done the straight at me deal and twice had the buck directly under me while positioning to get in front of the deek.

Great Vid. I've never had a buck spend so much time behind the decoy ?

That has me fired up though; definitely taking bucky along tomorrow !

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”