Good Livin!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Troutking

Good Livin!

Unread postby Troutking » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Killed a doe tonight on public land and watching the Cardinals in the World Series. Doesn't get much better! I stilll need to get her in the morning. I shot here 15 minutes before shooting time was up. Complete pass through and good blood. She shouldn't be far. :D

The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Zap

Re: Good Livin!

Unread postby Zap » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:15 pm

8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:35 pm

forgot to mention that i had a huge buck hit my truck on the way in. He ran into the side of my truck at 2:30 in the afternoon. Almost jumped in the bed. Luckily he didn't hit hard and I had slowed way down by the time we collided. No damage to my Tacoma. Just another example of how the moon can increase daytime movement. A mature deer on his feet at 2:30 on Oct. 19th. I am sure the high of 51 where I hunted today helped as well.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Bummer on the moon causing that buck to hit your truck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Stanley wrote:Bummer on the moon causing that buck to hit your truck.

:?

:lol:

8-)
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:52 am

Congrats on the doe!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:15 am

How did it go......
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:52 am

Troutking wrote:Killed a doe tonight on public land and watching the Cardinals in the World Series. Doesn't get much better! I stilll need to get her in the morning. I shot here 15 minutes before shooting time was up. Complete pass through and good blood. She shouldn't be far. :D

Congrats, but why leave her overnight with a pass thru and good blood? Or even with a pass thru and good blood, was the overall hit not that good and it was best to leave her overnight?
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:49 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Troutking wrote:Killed a doe tonight on public land and watching the Cardinals in the World Series. Doesn't get much better! I stilll need to get her in the morning. I shot here 15 minutes before shooting time was up. Complete pass through and good blood. She shouldn't be far. :D

Congrats, but why leave her overnight with a pass thru and good blood? Or even with a pass thru and good blood, was the overall hit not that good and it was best to leave her overnight?

I went out to get her this morning and couldn't find her. I was surprised and honestly a little embarrassed as I type this that I didn't recover her. I looked for 3 hours all over the ridge, the creek below, and the opposite ridge. I left her overnight for the following reasons:

I didn't hear her crash. At the time I wasn't overly concerned about this specifically because the ground was wet and I didn't expect her to make a lot of noise.

It was a low of 37 last night so I thought the meat wouid be fine overnight

I was 1.5 miles back and had time this morning for a recovery.

I didn't see any blood where I shot her. When I stated last night that I had good blood I was looking at the arrow. In hindsight the arrow was maybe not as red as it should have been to be lung blood. This would be my 5th deer and so I am not real experienced in reading my arrow. I didn't see food from guts and it didn't stink. My guess is that I must have shot her a little high.

I've tried to learn from this experience. That being said the only thing I feel I can learn is that I shouldn't announce on a forum that I killed one prior to the recovery. I was ok with my shot and honestly would take it again. I am pretty humbled right now.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:37 am

Bummer on the Cardinals being in the series, other than that, cool!
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Troutking wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:

I went out to get her this morning and couldn't find her. I was surprised and honestly a little embarrassed as I type this that I didn't recover her. I looked for 3 hours all over the ridge, the creek below, and the opposite ridge. I left her overnight for the following reasons:

I didn't hear her crash. At the time I wasn't overly concerned about this specifically because the ground was wet and I didn't expect her to make a lot of noise.

It was a low of 37 last night so I thought the meat wouid be fine overnight

I was 1.5 miles back and had time this morning for a recovery.

I didn't see any blood where I shot her. When I stated last night that I had good blood I was looking at the arrow. In hindsight the arrow was maybe not as red as it should have been to be lung blood. This would be my 5th deer and so I am not real experienced in reading my arrow. I didn't see food from guts and it didn't stink. My guess is that I must have shot her a little high.

I've tried to learn from this experience. That being said the only thing I feel I can learn is that I shouldn't announce on a forum that I killed one prior to the recovery. I was ok with my shot and honestly would take it again. I am pretty humbled right now.

Chit happens.

Kudos for being honest and try to learn something from this experiance.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”