Another General Hunting Question??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasman

Another General Hunting Question??

Unread postby Chasman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:56 am

Quick question. Hunted public on Monday night. Last light had a good shooter buck 25yds down wind in some thick stuff doing the nose job on me. He knew something was up. Continued to watch him and stayed in tree until well after dark. Never heard him bust out or snort. Packed up and wished he would have moved another 8 yds for the shot. I wanted to go back on Thursday now with the weather don't know. Would you sit same area or try to get one step ahead of him, since he knew something was not kosher and sit in what I think could be a alternate route?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Another General Hunting Question??

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:02 am

If the buck was down wind you were busted. You can hunt the same area but your chances are slim to none, on that buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:11 am

I had a similar encounter a few years back. The buck displayed the same behavior . I went back again and he came out again on the exact path he had taken b4. But I could only sit and watch him pass by out of range. I wish I coulda adjusted and gotten a little closer. But there were NO other trees to move too. The key I think is he did'nt bust outta there. So there's NO reason he will adjust his route so neither should you. I would hunt him again SOON but mabey you could close the distance to where you think you can nail him.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:18 am

Maybe set up on him earlier on from where he got on to you.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:19 am

I think swampthing has a solid plan, make an adjustment and see if he comes out again. If you have to even hunt from the ground give it a shot, he will be sure to try and wind you again if he comes back so you have to try something else.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:54 am

Stanley wrote:If the buck was down wind you were busted. You can hunt the same area but your chances are slim to none, on that buck.

right stan if the deer wined you your done the games up
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:59 am

BigHunt wrote:
Stanley wrote:If the buck was down wind you were busted. You can hunt the same area but your chances are slim to none, on that buck.

Yep, mature bucks most often slip away more than busting out of there.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:02 am

Stanley wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

Yep, mature bucks most often slip away more than busting out of there.

ive been there to many times .......if he cathes one little wiff of funk its all over
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:10 am

You say he was a shooter but was he truly a mature buck? If he in fact was I doubt you will see him from the same tree anytime soon. I would try an alternate spot and surprise him.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:24 am

If you know where he came from and think this is routine for him, then head up the trail 150-200 yards and suprise him.
If unsure, let the area rest for 2-3 weeks and try another tree in that general area,
he might (just might) gain a little confidense with no scent for a period of time. However it's getting later in the season and rut could likely take you out of the game...???

Do you think there are other deer are in the area? If so, get back in there, as you (hopefully) only alerted 1-deer - not all of them!
Just try a new tree a short distance away, just in case he comes by a little leery...
The only predictable thing about deer hunting is that it is UN-predictable!!! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks for advice guys. I put the animal at 3.5yrs. To me thats a shooter. My plan is ask permission to hunt private. If that falls through. I will set up on him in different location. I will still be able to see first spot. You never know.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:16 pm

I doubt he will be back. Most of the time they dissapear after such an encounter. However, I have seen them on a few occasions ciome back thru the next day. Maybe one out of 10 or more. Not great odds, but worth another shot. I say move a little closer, not the same tree, and try one more time.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:33 am

Dan,
I would like to creep up a bit but I am stopped by private land. I may try and gain permission today. I don't like to ask about land next to public, in my experience either many have asked or the land owner has had problems or issues with tresspassing. I will probably sit about 60 yds away still being able to watch where he came out on Monday if I can't get permission. There is a small pond and swamp area that intersects the high ground on each side, so if he wants to go that direction again its one of the two ways.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Sat alternate location. Did not see buck from the other night but did see several deer. Could have shot a doe if I sat same location. Watched a guy drive truck down cornfield and walk down wind to his stand. Was hoping something would blow out. Small four and a basket. Worth sitting again

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”