Packing your stand up at night

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: Packing your stand up at night

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Brandon wrote:
jclaws wrote:I try not to make any noise what so ever.

Exactly. I am extremely careful each time out of habit. Its very easy to be quiet... noise happens when you rush. Im not in any hurry or race.

X3....I just figure your doing less harm if they just see you vs. see you and hear you

When better is possible, good is never good enough
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:53 pm

Silence is GOLDEN. 8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:55 pm

i treat every exit as the entry nice and slooow 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Really depends on where I am hunting... On private land that I want to keep the deer on quiet out is the best for most situations...
But most of the time on public I am useing each hunt as a bridge. I know my target animal is in one of 10 to 20 bedding areas most likely. So If I hunted a spot I likely won't be back considering that bridge burned. It might be better that the deer knows you hunted there.. After 15 hunts there is only about 4 or 5 spots left and the hunting is better... But slip out quiet and maybe the deer does bed there but you think the bridge is burned and don't ever come back that year....
In that situation, I don't try to make noise, but don't really avoid it either... Regardless, on those real come evenings, no matter how quiet you are at the time you get down the woods is so still everything knows your there anyway. Really hard to slip out of thick swamp undetected.
Some spots yes, but a lot of them no... slipping in in the daylight with all the bird noise and such and daylight to watch every step its a lot easier to remain stealthy.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:42 pm

I used to sound like a freight train going in and out of the woods. Now I try to make zero noise. So far it hasn't helped hahaha.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:49 pm

I try to stay as quiet as possible. If I am going to hunt the stand again or not, I try not to tip off any animals to my presence.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:06 pm

On public land I pull down and get out I don't care about noise much. On private land I try to be more quiet. I have been thinking I need a second LW and sticks. I hunt mobile even on private land, no permanent sets yet this yr or last yr. I was thinking it'd be nice to slip out when deer are around you and leave the stand up. Then I could hunt a different spot the next day with my back up mobile set up. Since those spots are burned I could sneak back in there during daylight with my noise masked and pull my other stand down before the weekend hunt is over.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:23 am

So how do you guys go about getting your sticks down out of the tree quetly? This is something I have always struggled with, and sometimes I just drop them to the ground. Do you guys go up and down to retrieve each one individually, just like when putting them up?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:32 am

Ack wrote:So how do you guys go about getting your sticks down out of the tree quetly? This is something I have always struggled with, and sometimes I just drop them to the ground. Do you guys go up and down to retrieve each one individually, just like when putting them up?

I put the stand on my back while on the last stick, climb down to the second from highest stick and take off the high stick. I put the strap on it in the tree and slide down to the 3rd higest stick and in most cases drop the 1st stick bt aiming for soft open spot.
If there was a shooter buck around and I was going to come back, I would leave the stand there till the next day ( if legal ) or climb up and down with each step.
Footballer

Unread postby Footballer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:29 am

Ack wrote:So how do you guys go about getting your sticks down out of the tree quetly? This is something I have always struggled with, and sometimes I just drop them to the ground. Do you guys go up and down to retrieve each one individually, just like when putting them up?

I've added two loops to my harness that allows me to carry two sticks on the way up when I hang the stand, and on the way down as I take my stand down.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm

I put the stand on my back and unstrap the top stick and extend the strap all the way and put one loop on my finger. I climb down to the second stick and can usually bend down and set the top stick on the ground then I am in position to pull the second from top stick (third stick) and do the same then climb down and pull the third from top stick and get on the ground wrap everything up and then pull the last stick and stack it up.

Dan how do you get the camera arm down? Do you take two pull ropes one for the arm and one for your bow?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:46 pm

I lower my bow and my pack with 2 different ropes. Then the stand goes on my back and I just hang onto the sticks as I climb down. If it's windy enough that I don't think sound will carry I drop the sticks away from each other, but since I'm not hunting beds it doesn't really matter.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Dan how do you get the camera arm down? Do you take two pull ropes one for the arm and one for your bow?

I hook the handle of the pistol grip around the lower limb of my bow and lower both at once.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:24 am

Footballer wrote:I've added two loops to my harness that allows me to carry two sticks on the way up when I hang the stand, and on the way down as I take my stand down.

Got pics of that?
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:55 am

dan wrote:

I hook the handle of the pistol grip around the lower limb of my bow and lower both at once.

I take both ends of the strap and hook them back on the arm. Then I use the straps as a sling and throw it over my shoulder. I guess I could do it dans way if I had a rope but I dont so I carry everything down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”