How late do you hunt???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: How late do you hunt???

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:16 am

That sux.......

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:30 am

GRFox wrote:I never understood the whole fear of getting lost. I have never even come close to getting lost yet I hear about it all the time. I can enter a brand new property and walk around all over the place for hours and then just bee line it right bback to the car every time. Maybe I haave a good sense of direction? LOL I don't know but does anyone else feel like it would be pretty tough to get lost out there?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I am usually very good with direction as well but after dark anyone can get turned around pretty easily. Some spots if I take a wrong turn it might be several miles to the nearest road or 5-20 miles to a highway. I am sure it is impossible to get lost in some parts of the country where you have smaller acerage and roads everywhere but if you are in a vast unbroken wilderness it becomes more realistic. I have heard more then a few stories of guys never hunting again after spending a night in the woods, I doubt a night in the woods would scare me away but I would probably buy a GPS, for now having a compass does the trick.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:43 am

GRFox wrote:I never understood the whole fear of getting lost. I have never even come close to getting lost yet I hear about it all the time. I can enter a brand new property and walk around all over the place for hours and then just bee line it right bback to the car every time. Maybe I haave a good sense of direction? LOL I don't know but does anyone else feel like it would be pretty tough to get lost out there?

There is a difference of being turned around and flat out lost.

Anybody that says they have never been turned around before has never been in big country before.

Heck, when Dan and Magic were scouting up by me, magic kept yelling for help. :lol: ;)
jclaws
Facebook: Joe n Tracy clawson

Unread postby jclaws » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:52 am

I hunt until i cant see my pins.On cloudy days that is before legal shooting hours are over.It also depends if i am in a dark timber or on an open field.If i can't shoot there is no need for me to be in a tree in the evening.I do get to my morning spot 1/2 hour before daylight though just so it gives the woods a little time to calm down before shooting light.But thats just me.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:23 pm

sit til primetime and then leave? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:45 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:

There is a difference of being turned around and flat out lost.

Anybody that says they have never been turned around before has never been in big country before.

Couldn't agree more Hodag. I don't get lost but when you are in thick brush and all you see is your flashlight reflecting back at you its pretty easy to feel lost. That's after dark of course.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:08 pm

I hunt till I cant make a decent shot, but usually by the time I am on the ground it is pitch black. It takes me awhile to climb down and pack up. I will take some slack for it, but I hate being in the woods by myself at night, I don't like hearing noises that I don't know for sure what they are or what they were made by. That doesn't stop me from doing it though. I have a gps, 3 flashlights and a compass, and now this year I will be carrying a pistol as well. I figure regardless of what comes up, Im the most bada$$ thing in the woods with the ruger on my side. If I couldn't have a flashlight, I would leave sooner though. I figure the flashlight wont scare anything anymore than the sound of me tromping along breaking sticks and leaves, and this way I don't have to break an ankle and end the season early. I read somewhere that if your walking out, a flashlight will help more than hurt, because the deer can make out your movements just fine if you don't have a light, but if your using a light you are a blob than is unnatural, but they don't know for sure you are a human. I can see where thats true, try to make something out with a light in front of it or on its side, you cant and I am sure the deer cant either.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”