need advice-hunting the rut on new land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

need advice-hunting the rut on new land

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:22 pm

I am heading to hunt some public land 5 hours from home Nov 5-10. I have poured over topo maps and aerial maps for probably 60 plus hours. my plan is to hunt funnels between doe bedding and downwind sides of doe bedding. i have about 10-20 spots picked out. I have GPS coordinates for most stand sites. I plan on just doing a quick spot check to find the right tree. I am hunting terrain more than sign. I dont necessarily see the point in scouting thoroughly in the field and it seems like that would do more damage than good. I want to go in only as far as i hunt. i plan on scouting from 7:30-9 then hunting the rest of the day. I will check out new spots as the wind changes each day or during the day.

Some spots are funnels near food so i think they would work all day. So..fellow bast members what do you think of my game plan?

Bucky

Re: need advice-hunting the rut on new land

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Sounds like a solid plan.. If you kill one deep how u gonna get him out? Is this one property or multiple in an area? Do you have any idea what the ground looks like? What are your expectations?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:08 pm

I understand you are hunting unknown ground. I just don't like the idea of scouting during the rut. Bucks bedding areas are mostly vacant during the rut. The doe bedding areas are a good idea. Your game plan will work I believe.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:31 pm

You should post up the maps and your intended spots, I bet some of these guys could give your some real solid tips.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:45 am

730-9 is a good time to hunt, and Im not sure I would want to walk around and mess other guys up.

Why not get into an easy spot before dark, setup and hunt for 2 hours.... then make a move if your not already on deer?
You can't kill em on the couch
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:08 am

Going into a new area a little late might not be a terrible idea, you don't have to nessessarily scout out the whole area and setup but you will be able to take in a lot more intel be able to pick out a better spot. It sure beats guessing from an aerial photo and setting up in the dark only to be off 50 yards away from where you should have setup. A funnel is a funnel so that should be easy to setup on for an all day hunt. I like your plan, good luck wmihunter.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:50 am

thanks for the responses guys. i will relocate as the wind changes if needed during the day. this is my style of hunting but I want to be open to improvements. if the area is promising and the wind holds I'll be in before first the light the next day. expectations are to see and hopefully kill my first mature buck with a bow!
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:51 pm

sounds like a good plan....if at all possible I would try and get in at 1st light in the morning and choose an access that will bring you by a few different options you have picked out...this way you can at least get a good look at a spot and see if it has fresh doe sign....then you might still have time to set-up for a late morning cruiser. I would maybe look for a spot that has 3 or 4 funnels in close proximity so your not walking all over god's green earth before you hunt.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:53 am

Could you go in before dark and set up on the ground in a dead fall or thick brush? I would think this could work good because you could hunt in the morning instead of getting there after light, and if you see deer you might get a better idea of where to set up from in a tree instead of going in and setting up the stand and then possibly being out of place. This would also allow you to set the stand up in the light instead of by flashlight. Also if your on the ground and see a buck you might be able to sneak in front of him in a loop and catch him scent checking another area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”