Conditions are right!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Conditions are right!

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:06 am

I'm motivated today! The thread about weaknesses had me thinking. A lot of guys stay out of spots or hunt their old way because they are afraid of burning bridges or spooking a deer out of an area they scouted. I am one of those guys. I have hunted a handful of public spots with no success including one two weeks ago. Hunting my old ways, old spots, etc isn't working either. Today is going to be different. Hitting a spot where I have to cross a bean/corn field, head down through some mature timber then through some tag alder. Then I have to put waders on and cross a swamp to a big island. The East tip of the island shows a lot of deer use. We have a northwest wind which should allow me to set up on the tip and carry my scent just past the bed and south over the swamp. I am anxious to get out there. The wind and the moon are right today. I stripped down my LW set up last week and re-vamped everything I am a new form of stealth that I was not a week ago. Today is the first day of many where I am trying to rid myself of my weaknesses. I am going in confident and setting up with assurance knowing my scouting will produce a deer sighting and maybe even a shot on this island.

The conditions are right, my scouting was sound and I am motivated to chase down a swamp buck. Any one else heading out today? Soon as I crank out this homework I am heading out. I have to carry my waders in and my stand sticks and bow so I will be leaving the camera arm at home and just using the mount that screws onto my bow. Wish I could focus on this here homework!

Good luck to all the other Beasts heading out today. Knock em down boys!

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Re: Conditions are right!

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:17 am

Good luck Backwoods, sounds like a solid plan.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:20 am

Go Get em!, Wish I was closer, or I'd offer to help drag him out! Good luck!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:39 am

I was also going to wait until Halloween weekend, but today really feels like buckhunting weather out there.... The moon is underfoot, nice and cool, cloudy, and good wind direction for me.... I'm going to try it, and see what happens...
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:12 am

passed 3 small bucks and a doe this morning on public land. Missed a coyote also, darn thing! :twisted: They were on their feet this morning. I have a feeling its going to be a good next week for deer movement with the temps and moon!!!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:22 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I was also going to wait until Halloween weekend

I am still saving my best spots for Halloween weekend and the moon days in early Nov but these temps do get me fired up. I commented in another thread I am going to hit the woods tonight but time is very limited so I will only get in 1.5 hours if I am lucky so no time to sneak into a buck bedding area. Good luck you guys, can't wait to hear your reports.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:23 am

I am hoping they will be moving too. We are coming off a long stretch of extremely windy days here. Hoping the calmer winds will have them moving too combined with moon and all that.

Good luck to everyone heading out and thanks for the offer BS I'm not quite that confident! :lol:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:26 am

I'm actually probably better off that I'm so busy with the kids as its keeping me out of the timber. Next 2 weekends I'm also tied up busy so I likely wont be able to hunt much till November., which is fine I guess.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:37 am

Ya I'm pumped things are starting to heat up!!! My Dad drives truck in western WI and eastern MN, he called me just a little while ago to report that he has really been seeing alot of dead deer laying along the roads these last couple of days.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:49 am

muddy wrote:I'm actually probably better off that I'm so busy with the kids as its keeping me out of the timber. Next 2 weekends I'm also tied up busy so I likely wont be able to hunt much till November., which is fine I guess.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

You may be missing out chuck!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:57 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
You may be missing out chuck!

Maybe so, but I'm not really thinking so. People around me are seeing 2.5 and 3.5 year old bucks out bumping does, I'm more interested in true chasing and whent he big boys come out to play. Right now I'd say we're not even experiencing regular mid-October deer behavior down here. Scrapes aren't even really being hit hard yet.

I've only ever shot 2 bucks in October, the rest are Nov 1-13, I'm not worried.

:character-burgerking:

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:45 am

Things are luke warm right now (tonight should be a good one with the front coming)... here in old WI if a buck makes it to 4 Mud he is a true survivor! We just don't have that many 4,5,6+ yr olds running around % wise compared to Iowa's deer herd... 600,000 boom sticks put a hurt on em come mid November. In the hills or large marsh areas you can get some older deer....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:01 am

I hear ya guys, really I do, I just don't think the time is right yet regardless. Even if I wanted to shoot a 3.5 year old there are just not many sightings of them in my area, during shooting hours, to be terribly excited. I think we're a week behind schedule.

Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:10 am

good luck backwoods!!

I still havent whitetail hunted yet... this wasnt my plan, but between the super hot temps early and the sika deer Ive been chasing every weekend I havent had the time.

Last weekend I planned on hunting, but it was 30+ mph winds!

I wont hunt until the 26th, for whitetails. This weekend Im blackpowder hunting for a sika stag. Im addicted to those little swamp stags!

I did howvere pick up 200 acres and put out 100lbs of corn and camera last sunday. Thats mostly to shoot does and keep deer coming until youth day for my boy. BUT ill be spending my rut time in the back on some ridges and creeks, natural funnnels and bottlenecks.

Never hunted private my entire life unless one of my buddies put me in a spot or somthing similar. I purchased my 1st trail cam... we cant use them on public.

Again, good luck!
You can't kill em on the couch
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 am

It is too early for a lot of buck activity. Bucks are still in the feeding patterns now. I am set up on a nice buck but need a south wind to have any chance. With the cold front pushing through that isn't going to happen soon. I don't care either though. It's all good, and getting better every day.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”