Conditions are right!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

Re: Conditions are right!

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:04 pm

gotta pace yourself its a long season. let us know how the hunt went

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:21 pm

The conditions were wrong tonight bob, the conditions were wrong. I can't think of much that went right on the hunt other than I didn't fall out of my tree.

Based on spring scouting I coulda swore I needed waders to get to this spot...wrong. The ankle deep water was laughing at my chest high neoprene waders as I was sweating my nads off. By the time I made it to the island everything in the woods knew I was coming. I get onto the island which seemed to have an exceptionally wide and thick transition zone. I get on the deer trail following the edge and following my gps (route was still in there from spring scouting). I come to discover my genius idea to stay in my waders was not so genius. Its impossible to walk through dry leaves with size 13 insulated boots. I set up in the spot that looks just like what I scouted in spring. Attempt to hang in a black cherry tree but the bark is so loud that I move to an ash tree that needs some dead branches quietly broken out. FAIL. Hang stand get set grab compass and gps and compare my location against the two and realize its great this spot looked right but I'm a LONG ways from the right spot. FACK! Its nearing 5 o clock and making a lot of noise while trying to be quiet it still took 2hrs to get in and get set up so I wasn't moving, I couldn't. The wind worked for where I was set but the chance a deer would travel by not so much. And I was right no deer came by. Time to get down. Man do things look different on the ground in the dark. I relied on my gps which was more turned around than I was. Got a little nervous but re-routed and made my way back to the truck. Every single branch in the woods snagged my assault on the way out by the time I hit dry land on the other side of the swamp I was a sweaty mess letting those trees know how much I hated them. I believe part of the reason I got lost was the painful fall and v-bar to the back of the head. That messed up my internal compass. I made it through the woods on the mainland side and up to the field I had to cross to get back to the truck. A deer when crashing through the beans...maybe I should have sat there?! Anyways I learned a lot of valuable lessons and my confident attitude took another massive blow but that's alright life moves on. I was going to pack boots in and ditch the waders on the edge of the island then proceed to my stand, glad I didn't I never would have found my waders in the dark plus they kept me warm on stand. Downfall of the waders, there is absolutely no room to move on the platform of an assault with boots that big attached to insulated waders. For those of you that wasted your time reading this I apologize. I just had to vent. Tonight was a fail without a doubt.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:The conditions were wrong tonight bob, the conditions were wrong. I can't think of much that went right on the hunt other than I didn't fall out of my tree.

Based on spring scouting I coulda swore I needed waders to get to this spot...wrong. The ankle deep water was laughing at my chest high neoprene waders as I was sweating my nads off. By the time I made it to the island everything in the woods knew I was coming. I get onto the island which seemed to have an exceptionally wide and thick transition zone. I get on the deer trail following the edge and following my gps (route was still in there from spring scouting). I come to discover my genius idea to stay in my waders was not so genius. Its impossible to walk through dry leaves with size 13 insulated boots. I set up in the spot that looks just like what I scouted in spring. Attempt to hang in a black cherry tree but the bark is so loud that I move to an ash tree that needs some dead branches quietly broken out. FAIL. Hang stand get set grab compass and gps and compare my location against the two and realize its great this spot looked right but I'm a LONG ways from the right spot. FACK! Its nearing 5 o clock and making a lot of noise while trying to be quiet it still took 2hrs to get in and get set up so I wasn't moving, I couldn't. The wind worked for where I was set but the chance a deer would travel by not so much. And I was right no deer came by. Time to get down. Man do things look different on the ground in the dark. I relied on my gps which was more turned around than I was. Got a little nervous but re-routed and made my way back to the truck. Every single branch in the woods snagged my assault on the way out by the time I hit dry land on the other side of the swamp I was a sweaty mess letting those trees know how much I hated them. I believe part of the reason I got lost was the painful fall and v-bar to the back of the head. That messed up my internal compass. I made it through the woods on the mainland side and up to the field I had to cross to get back to the truck. A deer when crashing through the beans...maybe I should have sat there?! Anyways I learned a lot of valuable lessons and my confident attitude took another massive blow but that's alright life moves on. I was going to pack boots in and ditch the waders on the edge of the island then proceed to my stand, glad I didn't I never would have found my waders in the dark plus they kept me warm on stand. Downfall of the waders, there is absolutely no room to move on the platform of an assault with boots that big attached to insulated waders. For those of you that wasted your time reading this I apologize. I just had to vent. Tonight was a fail without a doubt.

:shock:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Not a fail... Just a learning experience. If u can keep up the effort from Oct 31-Nov 17th u will eventually hit on one of your journeys. Then you can look back and know you earned it and build from there... It takes one success 2 make it all worth while. Just like your school work... You will get out of it what u put in!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Bucky wrote:Not a fail... Just a learning experience. If u can keep up the effort from Oct 31-Nov 17th u will eventually hit on one of your journeys. Then you can look back and know you earned it and build from there... It takes one success 2 make it all worth while. Just like your school work... You will get out of it what u put in!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Out of town on a school trip/in class the 31st thru the 9th and my sister decided to be born on the 10th so we have to celebrate her birthday every year during the rut. Moms and little sisters don't appreciate the rut like I do. I will get about 3 days of rut hunting this year if I am lucky. I was hoping to score here in the early season but work, duck hunting and other obligations seem to have squashed that dream. Oh well late season is my favorite anyways maybe I will drill one in the snow.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”