What do you all do In situations like this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JRM6868
The Terminator

Re: What do you all do In situations like this?

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:13 am

As stated harvest what makes you happy. I'm lucky in the areas I hunt that I have big deer opportunities and let 130's walk in hopes of tagging a bigger deer. I'll eat a tag waiting on the right opportunity and have for years. I'm not a person who has to kill every year just to fill a tag. I'm a patient man and will wait for the opportunity. If the opportunity isn't there then shoot what you have the opportunity for and don't regret it.

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:15 am

Good stuff guys!! Keep It coming. My Intentions when I made this thread were to see what YOU all do In situations like this. Don't worry about me as this thread Isn't about me.

Schultzy, it sounds to me almost like you are a little frustrated realizing your property has it's limitations
No doubt I get frustrated. 3 years ago corn stayed out longer then It usually does. I had some great hunts the last 2 years being the bucks In my area got some age to them because of the corn staying In through the gun season that ONE year. We have the genetics here. We've got 2.5 year olds scoring In that 110 Inch range, some In the 120's. The potential Is here.

if you are available on or around halloween, I have a tremendous opportunity in a perfect bottleneck for all day sits. with the right wind this could be THE place to be. I could run a camera while you kill and then we could switch places. could be fun
My dad Is coming down over Halloween and Is planning on chasing some bucks around with me and my brother for 3 to 4 days. The land that I hunt down here Is my dads land, he's owned It for 25 years. He hasn't hunted down here with us since he moved to northern Minnesota 11 years ago. Man I'm excited about this hunt!! I hope like heck he sticks one!! Thanks a bunch Jigglestick for the kind offer. I'd be all over It otherwise.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:34 am

All good questions Shultzy, not 100% sure what to tell you but it might be time to think about shooting what is available instead of holding out for what might not be there. You seem to have a very good handle on what your land holds, I'd still advise you do shoot what makes you happy and pass up what you don't want but maybe putting a target on a buck or two that you know are in the area and might be just below your standars might be fun too. Good luck with whatever you decide.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:06 am

Personally, I think a 3 year old is a 3 year old and a 4 y/o is a 4 year old... I would,t pass on one 4 year old for a slightly bigger 4 y/o especially if it dosn't exist... Who cares if it scores 110 or 130... Its just a number.
I could see if you had a giant 170 class buck holding out for that number... But 130? A 3 y/o is a 3 year old..

I guess the thing that bothers me the most out of that is that if you have say 4 3 year olds on your property and you only shoot the biggest of that age class... Only the survivers are surviving to pass on the genetics your passing... If it were private property and I controlled it, I personally would rather shoot the 110 inch 3 or 4 year old than the one with the most potential... Not telling you what to do, just giving my view on the situation...

Also, I believe there are things you could do to improve your property to make the target bucks never want to or need to leave and basically let them grow up on your property... Which would in turn, fix your issue.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:22 am

If it were private property and I controlled it, I personally would rather shoot the 110 inch 3 or 4 year old than the one with the most potential... Not telling you what to do, just giving my view on the situation...
This has been my thinking as well. Last night after posting this thread I came to this conclusion as well. I'll give my woods some more time to see what shows but after that I know of two 4.5's that WILL get an arrow If offered to me. Both are 8 points. One of which Is lucky to be 115 Inches, the other Is In that 120 to 125 Inch range.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:20 pm

You don't say how big the property is.
I have hunted a piece that is about 150 acres. Not all hunt-able but a very nice property. It's not under my control but I have exclusive hunting rights until F/A season. I have taken four 130" class deer over the years. I have had tag soup because I had the same dream as Schultzy and passed up 130" 3 yr olds (assumed age). But it just seems that no matter what the age class; 130" class is what it holds. Several of these guys officially dressed out over 200lbs. They were mature!
I think I have to just accept that fact and hang a few more NICE deer on the wall and hope that WI can give me my 1st 150"er.

Good Luck
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Schultzy wrote:
If it were private property and I controlled it, I personally would rather shoot the 110 inch 3 or 4 year old than the one with the most potential... Not telling you what to do, just giving my view on the situation...
This has been my thinking as well. Last night after posting this thread I came to this conclusion as well. I'll give my woods some more time to see what shows but after that I know of two 4.5's that WILL get an arrow If offered to me. Both are 8 points. One of which Is lucky to be 115 Inches, the other Is In that 120 to 125 Inch range.

Right on Steve!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Enjoy being out there, you already shot a helluva nice bear this year which is something many of us will never be able to do.

Never know, you might find spare time in another few weeks to hit SE MN. You'll know at the moment of truth if the buck in front of you is the one you want.

If a number mark is really that important then take the steps necessary to hit it. Travel or trade for a hunt.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Hs dad shot the bear this year.......

To answer the question....I shoot what I want when I feel like it.

Some days I may feel like killing a basket 8. Why? heck if I know but history, area, planning, time available and just some bucks give me the feeling I want them dead in my truck. :mrgreen:

Goofy I know, but on past hunts I've let legit P&Y bucks walk and then other hunts I've smoked 80-90 inchers. Other oppertunities just the opposite, passed the young bucks and shot the P&Y's.

Have fun.......that's my motto. Anyways....it's more about the kids hunting now a days. I'll get serious for myself after the kids are satisfied.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:55 am

I shot a bear? Lol! ;) As Hodag said It was my dad who shot a nice bear this year.

Best of luck all this season and thanks for the reply's.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:46 am

SCULTZY, YOU HOLDING OUT ON US WITH A SECRET BEAR KILL? :?
:lol: :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”