Recognizing your weakness...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cdg097
Facebook: cdg097@yahoo.com

Re: Recognizing your weakness...

Unread postby cdg097 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:32 pm

I’m going to bump this up even though its getting toward the latter part of the season...

My biggest weakness...where to start lol. I’d say my biggest weakness stems from the fact that my family has owned and hunted a decent sized (160, and now 215 acres) chunk of private property since before I could even carry a weapon to hunt. I learned a lot of bad habits from my dad and grandfather in regards to deer hunting. When I say bad habits I mean it from the standpoint that they hunt the same handful of stands/box blinds day in, day out, regardless of wind, with the mindset that “If I put in enough time, eventually something has to come by.” They also live and die by the rifle, where I would much rather bowhunt.

Anyway, I have 25 years (I’m 37) of bad habits to break, we rarely scouted because the stands never moved. As much as I know it hurts my dad (grandfather doesn’t hunt anymore), I am scouting and hunting public more than our private, because I have realized that I can’t kill an older buck that isn’t there. I’m having trouble locating buck beds in Michigan as well (regardless of whether I’m in the big woods in northern Michigan or in the southern part of the state where there are smaller chunks of woods and swamps. If any Veteran Beasts are open to taking a self proclaimed “rook” under their wing to show him a few tricks, I’d be most grateful. Even spring for lunch! Good luck to those still grinding!

JAK
500 Club

Re: Recognizing your weakness...

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:49 am

My biggest weakness i feel is . some of my better looking spots ive found would be tourture to get into them dureing season. So i tend to hunt a little easier spots sometimes in fear of getting out of these spots in the dark. There really wet spots to access with floating bogs maybe ill wear a life jackett :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”