how do i deal with this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: how do i deal with this?

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:32 am

I love the guys who always wanna hunt together and when you take them somewhere its like they expect you to have already found the deer for them. Then they offer to take you, you show up, they run to their hot spot and let you standing there with zero intel.

Frankly, I think more often than not hunting with others has hurt me more than it gained me anything.

This one property took me ten years to figure out the honey holes its enormous, I had no idea about map based bedding at the time. Well anyhow, i took my buddy to it and we both shot bucks opening day of rifle season. He never hunted it again after that. A couple weeks ago he wanted to go "scout" and I wanted to watch from a distance. Well the way to do so is enter from the area we shot the bucks in rifle. This area has grown up a lot since then and theres a few small openings. One is a magnet but theres not a tree in there to hang a climber and even though I showed him the beast videos and grilled into him not to buy a climber he went ahead and bought one anyhow. So he calls me up today and wants to go to said spot. First words out of my mouth were A, thats a north wind stand and B, theres not a tree in there for your climber. So basically he never spent a second in there, I showed him this spot and it was getn DARK. He mentioned about how he thought he was gonna head in there last week. No idea that the deer bed right there and that wind wouldve toasted it.

To say you cant teach some people is beyond an easy thing to say, some just dont care.

whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:53 pm

i use to have that problem. 100% loner when it comes to bowhunting now. there are times when i still hunt with friends but its always in spots we both know about. i use to do all the leg work and find hot areas and end up taking a buddy there only to have him tell his friends about it. found a killer spot way back in the swamp one year, could only get there by boat or a long walk through some thick nast wet stuff with waist deep muck. i told my buddy about it and we both went out and hunted it one night. we both ended up getting a deer that night, apparently he went to a friends house to brag about the new spot. the next weekend his 2 friend go out to the same spot and kill 5 deer one night and 2 the next. that was the last time i ever opened my mouth about any hunting locations to anyone, unless they have no clue or dont even hunt.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:28 am

My approach to this would be just to be quiet and not talk about the spot anymore. I find that when others get on to a spot, they will hunt it wrong and not have success, then move on to a spot that is easier to access. I will just wait a year or two then nobody is hunting the spot again and I can get in there first. This year I saw more hunters on public than ever. I found ladder stands in one of my spots, which I have found before, but in a year or two they are gone or moved. I just take it as it comes, if you have a lot of public spots, hopefully all of them wont be ruined for the year. Two years ago, this spot was getting pressure and the deer pattern was changed. Last year, the spot was untouched, this year two stands, next year who knows, I just have to wait and see.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:52 am

I didn't know trimming and blazing shooting lanes was legal on public land? :shifty:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”