using landowners intel....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

using landowners intel....

Unread postby tim » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17 am

so last year i was 17 feet from the wackiest buck i ever layed eyes on in the woods, the doe he was following passed now it was his turn , he was broadside 17 feet and she boogered when i believe she caught my track in and he followed her running back down the bluff they just came up. i wasnt able to draw cause he was almost looking at me as he smelled a vine hanging from the tree next to me. i got sick a couple days later and settled on a much smaller buck and that was my season......fast forward to 2 days ago when i confirmed my permission to hunt this same farm ive been hunting now for quite a few years. the owner tells me of a super narrow buck thats stands 18-24 inches off his head and the tines shoot straight up, this can only be the buck i had 17 feet from my stand last year and he was in the field straight out from my stand. ive never seen such a narrow /tall rack in my life it didnt even look real coming through the woods last year, i cant imagine what he must look like one year older. i like wide deer but this buck is crazy narrow and tall. im hoping ill get a chance at this buck this year, im actually just glad hes alive so there is a chance at such a great buck..........ill reopen this if i get the chance 8-) always question your land owners they pry know more than you think, plus i dont run cameras on this farm......

AR Hunter

Re: using landowners intel....

Unread postby AR Hunter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:47 am

I've killed a couple deer during busy times the last few years just by asking landowners and people who knew the land where they had been seeing deer. I hadn't scouted...they had done it for me essentially. I set up and hunted the same day. I agree with you...landowner info can be invaluable.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:52 am

8-) good luck with him
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:20 pm

I got permission on a piece not far from my house....hunted it once and dropped my bow...etc...... I found some huge tracks and some rubs with a trail leading out of a patch of THICK shtuff. I am guessin a buck might be bedding in there. Have not hunted it yet due to winds being wrong. Today the landowners wife comes to me and says her husband just called her and told her to tell me this morning when he left the house for work...a huge buck crosses the road in front of him...heading on to there property. Good news for me. I am assuming that deer was probably headed back to bed. I am going to go out and watch from a good distance. Maybe I can get some good surveillance on this dude. I dont even know what the landowner would consider a huge buck???? Maybe a 6 pointer. :lol: But by the size of the tracks I think a mature deer is living there. Too bad my job has to interupt my hunting season...Or I would be out tomorrow.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Good Tip Tim...
I have had good and bad experiances trusting and not trusting landowner intel... The hardest part is reading the person and figuring out if he is exaggerating, telling the truth, or if he even knows what he is talking about... A lot of the time the hunter and the landowner will have two very different concepts of what a "big" buck is...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Never have much luck listening to a landowner. I understand most don't hunt so a big buck is normally a 12 point. land owners are needed though so I always listen and normally ignore.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Stanley wrote:Never have much luck listening to a landowner. I understand most don't hunt so a big buck is normally a 12 point. land owners are needed though so I always listen and normally ignore.

thats so funny stan :lol: most people that dont hunt i can tell with that same exact stament you just said ...i hear it to many times ...theres a big 12 pointer runnin around
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Haha That is funny hearing what a big buck is to people that don't hunt. I showed a guy that doesn't hunt a picture of a 160 inch ten point and a 110 inch buck that had alot of goofy stuff going on with it that made it a 15 point and he thought the 15 point was more impressive cause it had 5 more points. :lol:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Funny you guys should mention 12 point, I got a tip this year about a 12 pointer in a back yard that butts up to a public land bedding area. The source is semi-reliable because they put me on a huge 10 several year ago that got smucked by a car, I can't help but wonder if this big 12 is nothing but a basket 9 pointer with some better than average genes.

I did dive into his bedroom on a moon morning in early Oct and he was a no show, however I migth have pushed him out on the way in. There were a few deer walking around shortly after I setup about a hour before shooting light. Since I burned my bridge I did a little scouting in the bedding area and didn't find much. Hard to say if I was hunting a giant 12 or a 2 year old.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:00 am

u guys are right on with land owners info. but i know this guy understates everything . cause for the past 3 years he tells me what the gun hunters and another guy that hunts the farm shoot. and i also know the guy and if anything the landowner under plays it. im thinking he isnt that rattled by the sight of a big buck. when he described that narrow buck he seen, i knew he was dead on cause i had the deer 17 feet from the stand, i was just excited to hear it isnt dead yet cause i talked to another hunter and he told me they didnt kill it in gun season. plus when he told me he seen it where i hunted last year thats really good stuff. believe me ive had plenty od exagerators throw crap my way that why im always cautious.... but im not this time cause there are not 2 deer that fit this description 8-)
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:20 am

Stanley wrote:Never have much luck listening to a landowner. I understand most don't hunt so a big buck is normally a 12 point. land owners are needed though so I always listen and normally ignore.

Yea I agree. Everything is relative. Most people don't know what a big buck is. Not the people here anyway. Usually turns out to be a 1yo. Most of the time I don't pay any attention to it. just listen and go on.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”