More bedding questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

More bedding questions

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:18 am

When deer bed on islands or high ground out in the middle of a marsh, does it mater how deep the water is to get there? Obviously they dont mind walking in muck or a foot of water, but will they swim in 6 foot deep water to get to something like that?

What about floating bogs?? Two of the swamp/ponds we have on our land are like 5ft deep water, and then there floating bogs in it (I can post some pics later). The bogs have cattails growing out of them, and the bog itself is probably a foot worth of roots and mud..I have tried to walk on them to retrieve ducks, but you can easily fall through them..would bucks bed on these things??

Edcyclopedia

Re: More bedding questions

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:15 am

Pressure will drive a deer to do ANYTHING to survive and wouldn't put it past them ESPECIALLY after gun opens...

I would look for the stable ground, if your breaking thorugh @ say 175lbs. a mature deer could be upwards of 250lbs or more and will have less foot area to support him. I'm sure if you investigate you will find a few islands that will be a great retreat during big pressure
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:18 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Pressure will drive a deer to do ANYTHING to survive and wouldn't put it past them ESPECIALLY after gun opens...

I would look for the stable ground, if your breaking thorugh @ say 175lbs. a mature deer could be upwards of 250lbs or more and will have less foot area to support him. I'm sure if you investigate you will find a few islands that will be a great retreat during big pressure

So true.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:22 am

I definatly see more deer and sign after pressure on the islands, but big bucks use them year round...
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:24 am

Every situation is different, but from looking at mark ups that Dan has done on this site, it appears the bucks do not bed on those islands. He marks up small isolated areas around those islands and said the bucks will go to that island to stage, then to main land after dark. Makes sense as they can be up and moving around on that island, yet bed remote from it and detect danger on it as they approach it. There was also talk about walking on those bogs. If your on a deer run and its holding them, you should be ok. If a deer goes thru, so will you. I think Dan said he walks off to the side of runs if possible, cause hooves thru that will make it like swiss cheese and you cant always tell where those areas are and you will go thru. Be careful!
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:33 am

kenn1320 wrote:Every situation is different, but from looking at mark ups that Dan has done on this site, it appears the bucks do not bed on those islands. He marks up small isolated areas around those islands and said the bucks will go to that island to stage, then to main land after dark. Makes sense as they can be up and moving around on that island, yet bed remote from it and detect danger on it as they approach it. There was also talk about walking on those bogs. If your on a deer run and its holding them, you should be ok. If a deer goes thru, so will you. I think Dan said he walks off to the side of runs if possible, cause hooves thru that will make it like swiss cheese and you cant always tell where those areas are and you will go thru. Be careful!

Well said Ken...
I have seen them bed right on the islands, but most often its not... Some of my best spots though have bedding in the transition just off the island.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”