My daughter Is putting pressure on the old man!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

My daughter Is putting pressure on the old man!!

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:11 pm

A few weeks ago a friend of mine shot himself a young buck. He drilled It good sending his Snuffer tipped arrow right on through. There was blood everywhere and he also saw It go down 30 some yards away. He called me and told me he hit one and said that It's down and he also said this would be a good one to bring my daughter Lydia with on and let her track It along with my 2 nephews. Perfect I said as she's never been on a blood trail yet. My daughter and my 2 nephews did a good job trailing the deer finding blood. They were all about 3 feet from It when my daughter says "there he Is"!! She showed up the boys! Years ago when I was In that 4 to 5 year old range my dad brought my brother and I on a good number of blood trails If he or the person doing the shooting figured the deer was down being they knew they made a great shot. Us kids would get to do most of the tracking then. Great learning tool folks for youngsters!!

Ever since that night she's been talking about It allot. She's 4 years old and I haven't been able to get her on a blood trail prior to this year being It's usually In single digits or below zero when I do finally arrow a deer In the last week of the season here. I live and hunt In a one tag zone. Sucks for her sake as well as I'd love to shoot a doe but no way In heck do I want to do that being I'd burn my tag for a buck. About an hour north Is a 2 tag area so I asked a dairy farmer that I pick up milk at If he'd mind If I did some bow hunting. He was all for It as he says there's way to many deer around his farm. Him and his dad own about 400 acres where I'm hunting, 100 or so of this Is woods that borders I'm guessing 600 acres of solid woods In rolling hills type country. I'm only going to hunt the outside edge of the woods and fence line a long side a cut cornfield. He told me his brother In law hunts during the gun season and Is big Into managing It and doesn't want anyone In there but the farmer told me I could go In and hunt In the big woods anywhere I wanted If I wanted to. Let me tell ya, It's PRIME stuff!! I told the farmer no and that I'd just hunt the outer edges of the woods so I wouldn't cause any problems with him and his brother In law. After all I'm just after a doe anyway.

Last week I went and put a stand up on the fence line that ties In with the big woods 100 yards south of me. Saw 9 doe's and fawns my 1st sit. Got winded being the wind was blowing like a mother that evening In every direction. I get home an Lydia ask's are we going tracking? Nope I say and tell her why and what happened. The next sit I see 7 doe's and fawns but none came close enough. I get home and my daughter again ask's are we going tracking? Nope I say. I'm thinking damn I've got to get a doe and get her out there!

Yesterday I went back out there and saw 12 doe's and fawns and one little buck who was chasing doe's around all evening. The closest any of these got to me was about 30 yards which Is too far for me and my recurve. Again when I get home my daughter ask's the same question and I say no Lydia, they weren't close enough. After seeing that slight look of disappointment In her eye's I told myself It's time to get serious so today I drove up there this morning and took my stand down and moved It to the edge of the big woods where I've been seeing the majority of the deer come out. This evening I went back out there and hunted, I got there a tad late. Just as I climbed up the tree I hear leaves being walked on so I quickly pulled my bow up. Seconds later I hear the snort and see the doe who did It. Sure ****, she was coming down the trail that came by my tree at 12 yards. Man I was pissed at myself for being late! I ended up seeing 5 more deer. I let 2 doe fawns come by at 10 yards, one of the fawns only had 3 legs. The back right leg looked like It was half gone but couldn't tell for sure. She was In alright shape but was at least 3 to 4 Inches shorter then her sister who was right behind her.

I get home and Lydia ask's, did you shoot a deer so we can go and track her? Nope again I say. This time I tell her I could've but passed on 2 small ones hoping to get one bigger. She then says ok dad, at least your getting better. I got a good kick out of that.

The pressure Is on big time!! I need to get an arrow through a doe to get her back out there. This Is the stuff a dad dreams of when their kids show Interest In stuff we want them too (In my case, hunting). On a side note, I saw one of the biggest tracks I've ever saw In 26 years of hunting when I was walking the field edge to the big woods to put the stand up. I ended up making a mock scrape 15 yards Inside the woods from my stand. I couldn't help It after seeing that track. I can shoot anything I want here so If a 130's+ buck walks on by he's going to get an arrow. I'm not counting on It though being where I'm set up but anything Is possible I guess.

Wish me luck on getting a doe!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: My daughter Is putting pressure on the old man!!

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Good stuff. I used to take my daughters hunting I would set up 3 stands so they could join dad on a hunt. Never did score with them along but it was fun.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Good luck man! Ever think of using a ground blind and taking her with? She may, or may not, understand there's more to hunting than just tracking and killing if she sees it all for herself. Good luck I hope you stick one. I will be out in search of does tomorrow as well!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:57 pm

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Good luck on putting one to the ground so your daughter can back to her tracking!!
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:50 pm

8-)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:18 am

Thats awesome man! I hope you stick one soon! 8-)

PS- If you wanna try a ground blind like BWH suggested but dont have one, Id gladly let ya borrow mine - let me know (I'll probably be driving through your neck of the woods on sunday)..
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:36 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Thats awesome man! I hope you stick one soon! 8-)

PS- If you wanna try a ground blind like BWH suggested but dont have one, Id gladly let ya borrow mine - let me know (I'll probably be driving through your neck of the woods on sunday)..
I did buy a ground blind 2 weeks ago for this very reason so I could take her with. These deer over here on this land are really on the ball. I'm guessing allot of bow hunting Is being done south and west of this woods or maybe there's allot of coyotes running the area. I'm not sure why they are like they are. The fawns are even on the ball.

You guys think a ground blind would work with a very nervous like deer herd?
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:44 am

Schultzy wrote:You guys think a ground blind would work with a very nervous like deer herd?

Make sure its BURIED in brush and you might be able to get away with it.. I havent hunted deer from a ground blind before myself though, so Im just going off what I have heard from others..

Looking forward to seeing some pics!

And you obviously arent hunting a one-tag zone anymore...I take it you went north?
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:55 am

Definitely brush it in good to get the deer used to it. I gathered a few from various family members and set them out in July for grandpa with no brushing in at all. The deer have had time to get used to them and I am confident grandpa will get a crack at one during the rut. As far as putting one out now its probably as invasive as moving around permanent stands. How tall is your ground blind? I Know I used the doghouse blinds and they were too short to draw my recurve in. To shoot out of them I had to turn the bow sideways and get on one knee I believe my bow is 66" long...I'd put the blind out and let it sit for a long time or put the blind out and brush it in and hunt it right away and hope the deer get close enough before they realize something is up.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:07 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
Schultzy wrote:You guys think a ground blind would work with a very nervous like deer herd?

Make sure its BURIED in brush and you might be able to get away with it.. I havent hunted deer from a ground blind before myself though, so Im just going off what I have heard from others..

Looking forward to seeing some pics!

And you obviously arent hunting a one-tag zone anymore...I take it you went north?

You must've missed this In my 1st post.

I live and hunt In a one tag zone. Sucks for her sake as well as I'd love to shoot a doe but no way In heck do I want to do that being I'd burn my tag for a buck. About an hour north Is a 2 tag area so I asked a dairy farmer that I pick up milk at If he'd mind If I did some bow hunting. He was all for It as he says there's way to many deer around his farm.

Thanks backwoods and cornfed about the Info on the ground blind.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:10 am

Good luck we haven't pinned down a solid strategy yet. Last year I put gramps in a ground blind and he got busted without ever seeing a deer. We did a few things wrong a big one was throwing out a little corn to get the deer to hang around. Seems like whenever you throw bait out the deer know something is up and go on high alert.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 am

Schultzy wrote:
You must've missed this In my 1st post.

I live and hunt In a one tag zone. Sucks for her sake as well as I'd love to shoot a doe but no way In heck do I want to do that being I'd burn my tag for a buck. About an hour north Is a 2 tag area so I asked a dairy farmer that I pick up milk at If he'd mind If I did some bow hunting. He was all for It as he says there's way to many deer around his farm.

Yep..completely missed that :oops:

Theres some awesome land around that area for sure! Good luck puttin a "floppy donkey-eared horse-faced slickhead" (is that right muddy?? :lol: ) down up there!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:23 am

Great story shultzy! Go get that girl a blood trail!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”