Average Time Spent on Stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Average Time on Stand per Outing

2 Hours
11%
3 Hours
22%
4 Hours
41%
5 Hours
11%
6 Hours
3%
7 Hours
3%
8 Hours
5%
9 Hours
No votes
10 Hours
No votes
Dark to Dark
5%

Total votes: 37
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Average Time Spent on Stand?

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:17 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Stanley wrote:One thing most guys do is get into the stand before dark in the morning and sit until dark at night. This will cause hunter burn out in a short few days. I would suggest sleeping in getting into the stand around 10:00 AM and hunt until dark. During the rut hunting in the dark is wasted time and the early morning hrs are not any better than the rest of the day. You will be surprised how much fresher and enthused you are following this regimen. When you look forward to tomorrows hunt rather than dreading getting up at 4:00 AM or earlier.This is putting the fun back into hunting. There are also advantages to this for the hunters that hunt twice a day morning and evening; less hunter exposure, ground scent is cut in half, and you can take a crap before you go out hunting not having to get down and have to deal with that. I have not had one guy that I put on to this regimen tell me it didn't work. This 10:00 AM to dark, is not for early season hunting when hunting patterned deer or bedded deer, this is during the rut.

Key detail

Nothing worse than having to climb down, get out of the area, and peel off 5 layers of clothing trying to squat and miss cloths. :pray: :oops: :shock: That is why I mentioned it as a big advantage. :mrgreen:

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:56 am

i will hunt most of the day during the rut, if im burning out i switch farms at some point, or sit a good morning spot then switch when it ususally slows down. it gives me a break and a scenery change. but when its hot ill sit all day. i guess depends on my mood and my pain :x some days are so good or im so stubborn that i sit all day and then i can barely climb down my steps my knees are so locked up and painful, now that sucks. my lonewolf stands can go about anywhere but ill do what ever i can to get it straight cause my lower back cant handle the crooked stuff real long either. i thought id be much older before i was dealing with crap like this .......
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:36 am

On average, 2.5 hours per sit. I've done a quite a few all days sits back In the day but haven't done one In a while.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:38 am

I sit for as long as I can regardless of time of year.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:57 am

3-4 hrs on average before the rut. Then its dark till dark.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”