Listened to the forecast again.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Listened to the forecast again.

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:38 am

Had the right wind for one of my best spots (haven't hunted it yet), but the weather forecast said the wind was going to switch from west to east south east by 4pm. Well I scrambled to get out to the property and checked the wind, west wind. I wanted to go to my spot, but thought no sense in getting settled in, only to have it change for the worse before the deer show up. I went to an off spot, since this was my first hunt on this land and only had that one spot really nailed down. I sat there and saw nothing, and as I checked the wind regularly, only saw it gust twice from the east, then back to a west wind. How many times have you listened to the forecast and it cost you a hunt cause it was wrong?

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHunt

Re: Listened to the forecast again.

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:45 am

i dont..... just give me an idea ......when i get there or off to the side then i decide if im going to sit there or not
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:57 am

I can't say it has cost me a hunt because I didn't hunt my intended location. However weather reports have probably blown a few hunts for me. Not that it was the reports fault, sometimes that wind just does its own thing and you just have to deal with it. For example I was hunting a bedding area a couple weeks back, weather was calling for E and SE winds, works for me so I go in and get setup. Well 98% of the time the weather report was on, the only probalem was there were 2 or 3 strong gusts from the north in the last two hours before dark that could have totally messed up my set. It's not really the weather mans fault or my fault for setting up there, I don't see any way to predict that kind of stuff so you just chalk it up to bad luck and move on.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:58 am

I turn into a wind freak this time of year. I have moved many times while on stand and the wind switched. You have to be very conscious of wind switches as it normally doesn't just switch, it swings around that switch and can really contaminate a lot of area with your scent.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”