What creates the October lull ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: What creates the October lull ?

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:52 am

For the average hunter buck movement in October is definitely not as pronounced as November. Check the record books and the majority of the bucks are taken in November. I believe most hunters hunt October just like they do November and that is what causes the October lull. Another thing to consider is the does don't start coming into estrous until the later part of October, this also contributes to less buck movement.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:00 am

How about changing to a fall/winter coat?Think that would make for less movement really less when its 75-80 degrees.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Ok to those that say there is no lull, do you hunt at night? Because alot of you say there is no lull but the deer are nocturnal, so if you cannot hunt at night and that is the only time the deer are moving I would say you've hit a hunting lull..............I have pushed it to the limit on bedding areas and still 0 deer movement and i have not blown any deer out while doing so, I have also been hunting virgin spots each time out the last4 hunts and no deer movement during daylight. Can you still kill deer this time of the year? Sure, but I think it relys alot more on luck than patterning or scouting........... Just my observations over the last 2+ decades of hunting.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:09 pm

lungbuster wrote:Ok to those that say there is no lull, do you hunt at night? Because alot of you say there is no lull but the deer are nocturnal, so if you cannot hunt at night and that is the only time the deer are moving I would say you've hit a hunting lull..............I have pushed it to the limit on bedding areas and still 0 deer movement and i have not blown any deer out while doing so, I have also been hunting virgin spots each time out the last4 hunts and no deer movement during daylight. Can you still kill deer this time of the year? Sure, but I think it relys alot more on luck than patterning or scouting........... Just my observations over the last 2+ decades of hunting.

I agree 100% there is a definite difference in day time buck movement, October vs November.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:07 pm

lungbuster wrote:Ok to those that say there is no lull, do you hunt at night? Because alot of you say there is no lull but the deer are nocturnal, so if you cannot hunt at night and that is the only time the deer are moving I would say you've hit a hunting lull..............I have pushed it to the limit on bedding areas and still 0 deer movement and i have not blown any deer out while doing so, I have also been hunting virgin spots each time out the last4 hunts and no deer movement during daylight. Can you still kill deer this time of the year? Sure, but I think it relys alot more on luck than patterning or scouting........... Just my observations over the last 2+ decades of hunting.

The biggest differance is likely where your hunting... They move in daylight. But less. In marsh and swamp areas where I can get 50 yards from the bed I see them early. But they don't move far. In more open wooded areas and hills with dry leaves you might have to be 300 myards back which is to far at this time of the year...
Stratagies need to be adjusted...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:48 am

[quote="dan"][quote]

. But they don't move far. In more open wooded areas and hills with dry leaves you might have to be 300 myards back which is to far at this time of the year...
Stratagies need to be adjusted...[/quote

how would you adjust can you explain
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:06 am

how would you adjust can you explain

Find ways to hunt closer, or wait on certain spots for the right timing. Maybe try a marsh for a while where you can hunt closer to bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”